View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Newbie Intro 

I am rustycase. rc is much ezr... (save the keys)

I have recently discovered the distressing event at Fukushima Daiichi is NOT going away.

Diablo Canyon is 25 miles away from us. :-(

There is no reporting on NETC in this vicinity.

Most recently I have discovered we have a direct link to the SRE disaster. :-(

I have followed a link from netc to get a gmc-300e+ from gc and hope to set up outside monitoring soon. Will be reading threads on station setup and looking for advice.

Thank you!
I hope to learn, and contribute, if able.
rc

Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:36 pm

rustycase wrote:

I have recently discovered the distressing event at Fukushima Daiichi is NOT going away.

I have followed a link from netc to get a gmc-300e+ from gc and hope to set up outside monitoring soon. Will be reading threads on station setup and looking for advice.

Thank you!
rc

WECLOME to NETC and thank you!

I look forward to reviewing you new stations charts. 8-)

Here is a great thread to start with: https://www.netc.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=364

Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:04 pm

$1 wrote:
$2
$1 wrote:
$2
Quote:
rustycase wrote:

Thank you!
rc

hello this is EB108EC7 chippewa falls wi,you can make a home ade geiger counter with a un coated pint paint can and an npn darlington transistor first u need to drill a quarter in hole in the bottom of the can then using the lid solder 26guage hook up wire long enough to go from the lid through the bottom of the can.this will be the base there are 3 prongs on the npn darlington transistor solder the wire from the inside lid going through the hole in the can this will be the base collector.,next on the bottom of the can lid facing down with the wire coming through the hole solder to collector prong.next step solder the resistor one end to the collector prong and the other to the can.at the solder point from the resistor solder a 6 inch piece of wire to use as a hook up once the wire is soldered to the resistor go to the third prong of the transistor solder a 6 in piece of wire directly to the prong this will be the emitter wire.once that is done the npn transistor must suspend without touching the can while wires are soldered.next step get a nine volt battery and 9 volt snap connector,tape 9 volt battery to the side of the can solder the black wire to the emitter wire and leave the red wire hang free.next you need a 7 to 9 function 9 volt powered multi meter modified with alligator clips on the ends,hook the black test terminal to the resistor wire,next hook red testor to the red wire from the 9 volt battery.you now have a basic muller tube.it is pretty accurate i have a few that i have used in the past.and under 50 dollars.be sure that u test with out touching the can place object under the base it wont shock you i promise.

Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:54 pm

Tnx King! I shall read more.

EB, is your description the Kearny Fallout Meter?
Are you presently using this on NETC?
How do you translate it's results to a signal acceptable to NETC ?

Definitely sounds like great fun!
I should be able to salvage Darlingtons from some of the scrap around here.

Tnx
rc

Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:51 pm

Rusty case, it could be coming from the Calhoun Nuclear Plant as it is climbing too. Could be that it is venting or vented when the reading was taken. I'm looking at several wind maps and it looks like that could have been a possibility that the wind blew it towards Kearny. Or it could be coming from Texas. It would be interesting to know what the weather is in Kearny. Rain could be brining it down. I imagine it is flat in Kearny so probably radiation not building up in a valley.

Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:30 am

Tnx Pinto !

still trying to get all this figgered!
newbie newbie newbie !!!

Which wind logging sites do you feel have the most useful information?
and, which site has the best historic information? I'd like to know specific info for Los Angeles, July, 1959... the SRE debacle.

Y'all don't seem to post many pics on the forum....
I would like to set a background monitor out in my garden area, a ways from the casa... and operate it with a wifi link.
Is anyone doing that presently?
Has anyone posted pics of WXproof enclosures that remain effective for monitoring?

I'm thinking some sort of hot particle detector, consisting of an air funnel directed to a filter by a wind vane with a background monitor reading the filter????

Is this at all realistic?
lol and another newbie alert!

Best
rc

Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:47 am

Been thinking about some sort of "collector" too.. Maybe just sort of "box" looking UP - say 2 or 3 feet sq...hooked to some 4" or 6" PVC..with a simple drain loop or trap inline.. like "vertical section" to a short 45 deg section, back UP that same 45 deg, (now horizontal), with some small holes on the gravity side down...then, an inline "muffin fan", maybe 12v from computer supply?, then some sort of "filter sock/cloth holder" and mount the detector behind that cloth...then exit to atmosphere...provide for rain water to be collected so it can be tested after storms.

Or, something like that...run the numbers on collection "area" vs the cfm of the fan for a rough conversion factor for "cubic meters" or similar metric value to then calculate with.

Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:15 pm

Yah!

Something like that....

Maybe camouflaged as a wind vane, or whimsical garden art???
:-)
rc

Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]