View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 RepublicWireless - Anyone Here Have Them? 

I do and have had them for about two years now. I have been really happy with them so far. I always seem to get in to new tech stuff long before others know about them so it would not surprise me if nobody here has even heard about this company. I owned Vonage and then MagicJack long before most people knew what VOIP was. :lol:

Attachments:
RepublicWireless Plans.JPG
RepublicWireless Plans.JPG [ 30.08 KiB | Viewed 21107 times ]

Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:12 pm

Here is a good article about them but feel free to ask me questions if you want. I will gladly answer any of them if I can. 8-)

http://androidspin.com/2014/03/24/hands-republic-wireless-moto-x/

Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:21 pm

I'll need to look at this, kc.

my 20 went to 29 and now 45/m.

I'm on a low budget.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HEW5bXqKbU

rc

Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:49 am

rustycase wrote:
I'll need to look at this, kc.

my 20 went to 29 and now 45/m.

I'm on a low budget.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HEW5bXqKbU

rc

While this company works great both in price point and signal for me and my area, it might not for others. This company ONLY uses Sprints towers so if that is a problem in your area, you might need to look at a different company.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:34 am

tnx kc.

I made a decision a few years back to give up the constant burden of attempting to keep up with the pricey cutting edge technology.

Now is when it comes back around and bites me!

I didn't have a new york lawyer to review the cell phone contracts, or a techie on staff to review the details of 3g, 4g, and now 5g and wimax, so now I've been using an old cell phone for years.
ATT is on a big campaign around here to beat out charter for the IP biz, but I have difficulty on the street finding people to discuss quality of service.
I <think> att is sprint is railroads which was all the fiber optics, because they had rails running everywhere anyway and it was just a good idea to run the fiber optics alongside the tracks since they already had the right-of-way... but I'm not sure.

And it doesn't help much that I feel very strongly that EVERY municipality in the country should have open and easily accessible wifi for anyone who wishes to use it... it could be a great economic benefit to our society.

OK, guess I'll need to look at republic.
manana!
:-)
rc

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:40 am

As for a "man on the street" report....I'll offer the following for a NON-Republic source: HUGHESNET (which is now part of, or connected to, DirectTV in someway I think...not to be confused with "many" other Sat ISP services that do nothing but "re-sell" the Hughesnet bandwidth under they branding).

We have had this SAT ISP service now for over 2 years. It is not cheap, but it is our only path for higher speeds...vs dialup. Our initial monthly bill was $59 or so, and we choose to "own" our own up/downlink equipment. There was an incentive when we installed/bought which gave us some "added MB" per day; this first plan put us on 275MB per day base - at about 1MBps down and 250kbps uplink speeds. We had ONE service call, which was not conclusive as to cause of outage - but, after the resetting of our modem, we had faster service...YMMV.
Last year I decided to get active on EchoLink, which is a marriage of ham radio and internet - bi-directional links, all over the world. To do this, I needed to "open some ports" by number, and to do that, I needed a STATIC IP address service. This upgrade put us into a "low level" business service plan, 350 MB/day and a speed of about 1.2 to 1.5 MBps; which put our current bill at $94/mo..and, they now offer a "bank" of extra MB, equal to your daily max, to cover those Microsoft Windows 7/8 "updates" that can run into the 100's of MB's...
THIS SERVICE WILL NOT SUPPORT NETFLIX EVEN AT ITS HIGHER LEVELS...such service is GB's per movie, etc...
This service is subject to moisture loaded clouds attenuating the signal, sometimes to the point of LOS - but, only rarely for us this far north... Tornado ally and the deep south might be a different story - due to their severe thunder storms daily, etc...
We have DIRECT TV for our boob tube feed - as we have no "local" signals in our area. There is no "package" deal that I am aware of now...maybe in the future?
We have NO cell service per se at our home/shop/shack location - our phone is twisted pair hardline. Therefore, we have no access to any "cell tower based" data/ISP services from here...no aircard, etc... I guess Marsat would be an option, but their data rates/charges are way expensive...like $1,000/mo range for some surfing of the net and some/few videos from news sites...NOT a way to go!

That's about it...just some knowledge to add to your bucket full... Check-6.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:54 am

tnx eb9.

Gosh.
All that is impressive.
and certainly beyond my means.

Looks like it will be 3 fingers of scotch and a cigar while I listen to SW on a sangean! lol
Best
rc

Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]