View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Station ID 1:EBEB8CE7 Lawrence, KS, US 

I got the jumper changed and have plugged it back into the PI.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:28 pm

KingCobra wrote:
If a neighbor having a radioactive stress test is a possibility, you should be able to leave your house/apartment and see the CPM drop as you get further away from the source. Please see more information on the radioactive stress test with video example here:

https://www.netc.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=401

I'm just in a residential neighborhood so hopefully the neighbors aren't building a dirty bomb or something but I'll check out the link. ( I'm just kidding NSA!...our neighbors are all good people.) Well this was certainly more excitement than I was counting on today. I think I'll take the geiger counter with me for a little drive here in a bit to see what the cpm are away from the neighborhood.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:37 pm
Server Admin

You can also try putting it in a container, such as a fireproof safe/lockbox for a couple of minutes and check to see if the CPM shown on the display is a low value when you get it back out but raises shortly afterwords.

I have a fireproof lockbox that I keep one of those radioactive fresca plates in--the geiger counter jumps to thousands and thousands when very close to that plate, but just shows less than 30 cpm right outside the box.

Did you see any dust or anything inside the unit near the glass tube when you changed the battery?

Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:53 pm
Profile WWW

Further proof, why I need one in Kansas City, which is only about 30 miles east of Lawrence. I don't have the money to purchase one right now but I am saving the $'s. I hope this was a glitch with his counter, strange that the readings got really high and since then have come down to the 300's and have stayed there. I have been posting on FB about this site and people are telling me its a bogus sight and not to trust these readings! BS!

Kyle - please report your findings from your drive - Thx!

Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:26 pm

Well I took the geiger for a 1/2 hour drive in the country with readings of 250 to 98. So the readings were trending lower but looking at my graph it looks like it is just a continuation of the steady lowering of the peak reading from 4 am central time.

Next since I didn't have any kind of safe to shut it in I wrapped it in aluminum foil ( about 3/16" worth then put it in a small steel tool box then put that in a larger aluminum tool box. It looks like it got down to about 78 cpm. I would have thought it would get lower than that if the geiger was working right. Now about ten minutes later after pulling from the make shift shield I'm back up to around 161 cpm.

If I need to return it do I go though the netc site where I purchased it or to I go to the GQ electronics site. I'l try to get another geiger counter here soon to maybe avoid some of the drama.

Teeko, I'll try to make sure I get my station ironed out.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:32 pm
Site Admin

KingCobra, please check the site. when the information about the sites says "PI and Gmc-300" you should know it is not the Free software, Wapp4netc. The problem you talk about does not happen on the PI4netc software. His data maybe correct, but it takes two units to verify the results. Lets see if it happens again. Thank you Kyle_G for being one of our newest Radiation Monitoring Stations.
Harlan

Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:45 pm

It is entirely possible you have an issue with your counter, but it is also possible the readings are correct. No real way of knowing for sure until you have another counter or at least a known CPM check source to verify.

My 300 did have it's tube fail in just about a year of intermittent operation, it was not on NETC i use my 200 for that) so I cant direct you to the readings. I did sent it back and they were great to deal with. Had it repaired and back to me in a few days.

https://www.netc.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f ... 1&start=10
Quote:
Well shoot, looks like my GMC-300 is having issue and giving me false readings. I placed it right next to my NETC monitoring station (GMC-200 and Pi) and it is still reading over 100 cpm where as the 200 is reading a more normal 30.

Also confirmed by my Russian -88 Geiger counter that there is no increase in radiation so my GMC-300 is shot. Too bad it was a good Geiger counter right up till today.

Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:53 am

Kyle-Thanks for posting here. What did you decide to do with your
Counter? The KC EPA site is elevated today. But your station is back down.
If you look at the jet stream link below, it looks like we maybe in for another
Surge in elevated levels. At least from my prior research, anytime there is a storm
If you follow the jet stream, you'll see the stations on netc go elevated.
Do you have FaceBook? You can friend me under Teeko Turner.
What type of radiation does your counter measure?
Teeko

http://squall.sfsu.edu/scripts/jetstrea ... _fcst.html

Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:02 am

rdesrosi wrote:
It is entirely possible you have an issue with your counter, but it is also possible the readings are correct. No real way of knowing for sure until you have another counter or at least a known CPM check source to verify.

My 300 did have it's tube fail in just about a year of intermittent operation, it was not on NETC i use my 200 for that) so I cant direct you to the readings. I did sent it back and they were great to deal with. Had it repaired and back to me in a few days.

https://www.netc.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f ... 1&start=10
Quote:
Well shoot, looks like my GMC-300 is having issue and giving me false readings. I placed it right next to my NETC monitoring station (GMC-200 and Pi) and it is still reading over 100 cpm where as the 200 is reading a more normal 30.

Also confirmed by my Russian -88 Geiger counter that there is no increase in radiation so my GMC-300 is shot. Too bad it was a good Geiger counter right up till today.

Interesting though that his 300 is only a couple weeks old or at least only been running for a couple of weeks

Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:07 am

It would be interesting to see how many hours of operation before the failure, if it is in fact a failure.

Even though I had my 300 for about a year, i used it very infrequently, and only to check radiation on a few of my check sources so it was never left on for long. If he has his for a few weeks and left on 24x7 he probably had more run time on his then mine.

Also no that the failure with mine was not with the 300 itself, the board was fine, it was the GM tube that failed. Which is a M-4011 i believe which not made by GQ Electronics.

Despite the issue with my 300 i still plan on getting another unit from them to be used for an outdoor solar powered station in the very near future.

Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next