View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Station ID 1:EBEB8CE7 Lawrence, KS, US 

Kyle -
Any news on your counter?

Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:22 pm

Hi all...I've been gone for a few days. I emailed GQ electronics and they said it could be the tube had gone bad. Just looking at the graph though of the way it gradually tapered back down, it just didn't seem like the way a bad tube would act...but hey what do I know about geiger tubes :). It seems like if the tube was bad it would show bad readings all the time? Since the big spike the 300 has been acting normally and I'm back in my 19 cpm range.

I did order the GMC-320 so if this happens again I have another unit to help verify. So at this point I haven't sent the 300 back in since it seems to be working correctly as I'm getting basically the same readings when I have the two geiger counters side by side. Chart image link below

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zsk49y5yyxlt59i/netc%20graph.JPG

Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:10 am

Kyle -
Thanks for the update. I would have to agree with you and it's quite scary that the counter slowly went back down. Let's hope it was a tech glitch and that all further readings stay at or below your 19 CPM average. I am still working on funds to purchase a counter, times are tight at my homestead. Happy Holidays!
Teeko

Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:43 am

Kyle_G wrote:
I did order the GMC-320 so if this happens again I have another unit to help verify. So at this point I haven't sent the 300 back in since it seems to be working correctly as I'm getting basically the same readings when I have the two geiger counters side by side.

A second geiger counter is always a great idea, even if you didn't have problems with the first. I learned early on that whenever a high reading is noticed, everyone (including myself) questions if the radiation readings are real. A second geiger counter easily helps to rule this out as a question.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:55 am
Site Admin

did you check the display of the GMC-320? What did it read?
Harlan

Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:57 am

Harlan,
I just got the 320 a couple days ago so didn't have it yet at the time of the spike. I will be nice having the second unit to help verify readings one way or another and to use away from the house some. I've noticed on the 320 that when I have the sound on for clicking, I can barely hear it compared to the 300.

We had some sleet and snow here so I did my first cpm check on outside moisture. I wetted a paper towel then squeezed the water out and after doing a 5 minute background check for a baseline I had 20 cpm and then 34 cpm with the paper towel. I was pleased with that count so went for a nice run on our lake running trails. That will be my new routine now if I'm running with snow or rain.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:31 pm

Kyle_G wrote:
I've noticed on the 320 that when I have the sound on for clicking, I can barely hear it compared to the 300

Interesting, thank you for this information. I do not currently own a GMC-300E or GMC-320, I do own the GMC-300 and I have been very happy with the volume of the clicks/alarm.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:16 pm
Site Admin

I notice the same thing, the speaker is a lot lower than gmc-300E

Enjoy the run. It is cold here, 40+ during the day
harlan

Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5