View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 New station: BUTTE, Montana area. 

Look for the marker just to the "west" or "left" of the ALWAYS HIGH Billings, MT.

Station ID is: EB94DE0D (that is "E zero D" at the end).
Just did the plug-n-play, idiot proof, install.
It is inside a shed, up at the roof level, with only 3/4" wood and comp shingles between it and the world. It is plugged direct to my Sat ISP modem via a CAT5 cable loop to my WiFi router - it appears to be a happy camper this way.

We are at 6,000 ft elevation here, on the East Face of the Continental Divide.

While messing with it, I saw 28-30 CPM for a high...very much lower than Billings site --- but, more inline with the Trout Creek site to my NW about 175 miles.

Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:02 pm
Site Admin

thank you for getting your unit up and running. We will need the data when the radiation from Japan comes over again and it will make it easier to track the radiation when EPA's Billing MT goes offline.
Harlan

Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:14 am

EB94DE0D wrote:
While messing with it, I saw 28-30 CPM for a high...very much lower than Billings site --- but, more inline with the Trout Creek site to my NW about 175 miles.

I assume you are talking about being "much lower" than the EPA Billings site?

The EPA uses much more sensitive equipment and therefore with the same amount of radiation, their counts per minute CPM will be higher than yours. Compare the rise and fall patterns of their readings vs. yours, not the actual CPM.

Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:08 am

Thanks KC... Will be looking at those graph traces/shapes in place of absolute readings then...

There was talk/chat about that site being influenced by mines in the area.
We have a "radon health mine" about 30 mi due north of use too, but it's not in our normal wind pattern/flow...it's right off the side of I-15 headed from Butte to Boulder, MT...in a rather deep canyon.

Hat tip to the tech team...that "plug-n-play" really works for us dweebs...

Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:06 pm
Site Admin

you are welcome. The mines are part of the background radiation level for your station.
Harlan

Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:06 pm

Sorry to report, we took a very close lightening strike last evening.
The only damage we have found so far was the Pi and the GC unit.
No lights on the Pi when plugged in, no traffic lights on the LAN switch it's plugged into.
No readings displayed here online/site.

Due to "other" demands, our replacement will have to wait until Sept/Oct window.

Will post here when things are back up and running.

Mel in MT.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:00 pm

Sorry to hear about your lightening damage. We recently had our AC unit hit. :(

:?: Maybe it is just the Raspberry Pi power supply that is damaged from the lightening.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:29 pm

Roger that.
I had the same thought about 2 hr after I posted my failed report.
Have an OHM meter/VOM..will check the output of the wart this afternoon.

The Pi PS is plugged into the same source as the wart for the LAN switch that lets it access my Sat ISP modem - that switch was "stupid" when I checked it, but a simple unplug/replug action put it back right with the world. That switch also acts as a repeater for my long run of CAT5 out to the radio shack...
There is stretched out wire "length" from the switch to the Pi (CAT5), wart to the Pi (PS), and the USB cable from the Pi up the wall to the GC unit laying on the overhead 2x4, just under the roof (on the inside of this shed). Since our "in house" discharge seemed to be associated with the TV or stero speakers, which both have wire "length" involved as well, which was accompanied by a loud SNAP (some milSec before the sound hit, but coincidental with the flash of the lightening --- I am still thinking some sort of static/EMP discharge took place. Nothing was hurt/disturbed in the shack, 275ft away -- so, I am thinking the actual hit was here to the front of the house. No smoking hole or chared tree/pole was found, yet. These are "rock rich" mtn's here...the Rockies, eh?... Might have been a mineralized rock that took the hit, maybe???

Thanks for the thought...I'll be checking this for sure...(would be nice for once, having an inexpensive part be the failed one, instead of the expensive one(s)..).

Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:20 pm

The Pi will power from USB adapter. You will need micro USB cable and a AC converter. The Pi pulls 700Ma current so you will need a 1A adapter.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]