View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 New Station=NW Florida 130 miles W of Tallahassee 

I was having SOME troubles getting my station to show the CPM's on the web-map..but disconnecting from the network and SHUTTING off my anti-virus program and re-installing the NETC software.. (then restart the anti virus and reconnect to my router, and then reset my location on NETC).. now my station is fully showing the CPM's online.

MY location, is 130 miles West of Tallahassee,,and 275 miles EAST of New Orleans (and 83 miles East of Pensacola,, I'm about an hour's drive NW of Panama City Beach).

I'm 50 miles inland from the beaches, 10 miles South of the Alabama border, and 300FT above sea level. Most of my weather comes North,, in from the Gulf of Mexico (and NO nuke plants are in the gulf).

This is a lovely, NO nukes area, good rainfall, super low taxes (my home w/5 acres costs me LESS than $300/year). This ONE area of Florida, (highest geography in the state), is located in some kind of "sweet spot",,almost hurricane free zone, and in the super rare event of a direct hit,, they lose more than 1 full category during the 1st 20 miles pushing inland-onto these 200ft and 300ft high, rolling hills and REAL trees in the dense, green REAL FORESTS. Almost no plam trees this far north.)

I'm in a 1986 Mobile home (24-30" above the ground= so there is NO chance for RADON buildup), real aluminum siding and sheet metal roof.

GMC-320 normal geiger tube (not pancake) is sitting on my coffee table indoors. For about $160, I think these are a great item. LCD display can show GRAPH-charts, unit has logging memory for saving history, programmable alert levels, CPM, uR, uSv. The latest units also have a 1/8" audio-analog jack,, and a little red LED click light too.
These units are about 2.5" x 5" x 1".

I notice that the consumer type Geiger tube models,, read much lower than EPA filter readings.. so for my own comparison,,I take my own readings, multiply by about 12X,,and that gives me a better idea of EPA & Home unit equalizing the readings.

I do take it with me on grocery shopping trips (it fits in my shirt pocket), and I scan fresh foods, meats, veggies, fish, and CANNED goods too... because SOMEDAY,, we will eventually start getting food that is "hot enough" to detect at the store.

I'm glad to be doing MY part to "monitor" America..and the world.

I wish some company would make a "low priced" SCINTILLATOR pocket model for grocery shopping and back yard soil readings, etc.

Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:35 am

Thank you for your service to humanity by setting up a radiation monitoring station!

While inside units are NOT worthless, an outside unit on air purifier will give you much better sensitivity/results. In time I think you might seriously consider doing this.

Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:58 am

Just took my system OFF Line because there is SOME kind of BUG that created a BIG SPIKE in the data on the webmap.
The webmap is showing about 10X higher than what my unit is showing on its display screen.

I'm currently at about 13CPM, but the webmap shows 132cpm.

I'm NOT using a Raspberry PI,, I am using my laptop & the NETC software to connect my unit to the map. Everything was working great, and when I woke up and checked the map numbers,, it does not match my unit at all.

I also went into the software and clicked "UN register my account".. trying to remove my bad location from the webmap.

Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:00 am

Don't panic, people will understand. Sometimes there are problems/bugs and we can erase false spikes at your request. What is important is your communication with us and others here to verify if it is a false reading or not.

Please leave it connected and running, we will work with you to correct the problem.

Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:29 am

Hello K.C.
After going offline,, I un-installed the NETC software, then I disconnected from my router,, shut down the AVAST anti-virus software,, and RE-INSTALLED the NETC program,, and verified that the software now reads my unit correctly.

I restarted AVAST, and reconnected to my router,, went back online and re-registered the NETC software..and yes,, now everything is coordinated from my unit,, the software and the webmap.

The spike you see at YOUR end,, is definately a FALSE, buggy software spike (I know this because I also have a digital dosimeter that I wear (it looks like an old style phone-pager device) and is not some cheap item (it's price is typically about $400-$500 and working very good.)

I also have an older, cheaper, analog beta/gamma meter that was manufactured in Ukraine in the 1990's,, working very well with known sources... I double checked all my systems,,and they all agree with each other (about 10-20CPM's)... the only thing showing any spiking,,, is the NETC software.

Hope this helps.

I'm back online.. and when it happens again,, perhaps you have some genius programmers available who can find if and where there may be a bug in the program, and or some conflict with some specific portion of the Microsoft Windows programs.

I will later shut down my computer,, boot up some LINUX (Kubuntu),,and use WINE to install your NETC program,, and run it for a couple of days,, either until the program goes crazy again,, or never goes crazy under Linux operations.
This MAY lead to some clues where the conflict comes from?

Craig Raven.

Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:41 am

Sounds really nice there... That "spot" has some very valid reasons for being nearly hurricane free...the same can be said for the first 50 mi of Alabama to your north too. You are also just at the edge area of the normal shore/coastal breeze patterns.

Your station might end up identifying the "southern edge" of any thing coming across thru Texas into the big easy area - it might also ID the extent of a "hot" hurricane, when such is spotted/detected. Thanks for installing one. Check-6

Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]