View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 New station EB612540 (and configuring with Apple Airport) 

Hello,

New station EB612540 is now up in Califon NJ, 07830, Tewksbury township in Hunterdon county.

Unit will be located outside in a well ventilated shed (screened windows). Please advise if there's a more preferable location for these without going to extremes.

Also, I had to figure out some things in order to set my SSID password on an Apple Airport Extreme router. First, I plugged the PI into one of the Airport's LAN ports. However, Airport utility (after version 5.x) no longer displays info for wired devices. In terminal, I ran the following command:

snmpwalk -v 2c -c public 10.1.10.1 ipNetToMediaPhysAddress

which gave me a list of all connected devices. (Replace 10.1.10.1 with the IP address of your airport extreme.) It's then easy to find the MAC address with one's station name in it. Use the IP address (e.g. 10.1.10.32 in my case) associated with your PI's MAC address in the browser's url field. Config of the SSID passphrase was then as described in the NETC docs.

Station may be up/down intermittently as I get it wired and placed for good.

Thanks,
EB612540

Sun May 04, 2014 3:46 pm
Site Admin

A small air filter in front of the GC will help a lot. Here is my picture.

Attachments:
WP_20131215_003.jpg
WP_20131215_003.jpg [ 308.37 KiB | Viewed 30217 times ]
Sun May 04, 2014 5:38 pm

hey, thanks for posting that.

a question about the filter and one about the interfaces on the PI:

- what is the purpose of the filter? to keep air clean around the GC? to keep airflow on the GC? would the filter not need to be changed/cleaned regularly to avoid rad particles from accumulating and slowly increasing the averages over time?

- so the MAC address assigned to the wired interface is the station name (e.g. EB612540). what about the wireless interface? is it a variant of the wired MAC address or entirely different?

thanks.

Tue May 06, 2014 10:31 am
Site Admin

The filter is to collect the radioactive material on the filter and the GC would be able to detect it. The EPA uses filters in their units and we are understanding why.

The MAC address is for the USB port on the PI and if you use a cable to the the router, you would have a second MAC address to access the PI.

Tue May 06, 2014 10:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]