View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Location in Santa Clara CA. 

I'm interested in setting up a site and learning more. Message me if this site is needed. :idea:

Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:02 pm

SequesterTheFuel wrote:
I'm interested in setting up a site and learning more. Message me if this site is needed. :idea:

WELCOME TO NETC! 8-)

While I know Harlan (ADMIN = HEY) and I both have previously out of pocket purchased units and allowed others to host them in key locations in the U.S. for the benefit of all, it is always still a consideration.

If you decide that you do not want to wait, the most budget way to go is buying a GMC-200 from GQ Electronics $85 and using the free NETC Windows software. Many other geiger counters will work with the free NETC Windows software, the GMC 200/300/300E/320, Inspector Alert, InspectorEXP, Mazur 9000 and more.

Things can change daily at NETC and it is possible that in the near future only previously registered free Windows software radiation monitoring stations with reliable data/uptime might be allowed to continue operation. We have noticed that many who have used the NETC free software program setup a station but refuse to continue offering NETC reliable 24/7 data. It is this reason that if your interested in setting up a station using the free NETC software, do it now (24/7) and lock yourself in as a reliable site before this free offer expires.

Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:37 pm

SequesterTheFuel wrote:

Just be sure to get a Geiger counter that has a USB interface. I made the mistake of getting the black Inspector Alert - and while it is a nice and sensitive instrument, the only output is a 3.5mm audio cable style plug. The only way to get data from it (without devising your own solution) is to buy a cable and software from Medcom that runs about $100. The cable converts the 3.5mm plug to DB9 serial, and most computers don't even come with serial anymore, so you'd then have to get a USB->Serial converter. Such a headache. ;)

Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:46 pm

Morellio wrote:
Just be sure to get a Geiger counter that has a USB interface. I made the mistake of getting the black Inspector Alert - and while it is a nice and sensitive instrument, the only output is a 3.5mm audio cable style plug. The only way to get data from it (without devising your own solution) is to buy a cable and software from Medcom that runs about $100. The cable converts the 3.5mm plug to DB9 serial, and most computers don't even come with serial anymore, so you'd then have to get a USB->Serial converter. Such a headache. ;)

My InspectorEXP did not come with a data cable, but both my low cost GMC-200's & GMC-300 did. 8-)

Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:52 pm

KingCobra wrote:
My InspectorEXP did not come with a data cable, but both my low cost GMC-200's & GMC-300 did. 8-)

Yeah I'm thinking of ordering a setup from Netc so I can be sure everything will work. Checked out the roof last night while all the fireworks were going on nearby for New Years, unfortunately there is no power. I want a stable, permanent weatherproof setup and am looking for options. A vented metal cabinet with ducting seems like it would work and prevent anything from getting wet, my only remaining concern is preventing condensation that could form on or in the air purifier and short it out. The last thing I want is a fire hazard. Even thinking so far as to put a wireless webcam outside on the cabinet to monitor it.

Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]