View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Elevated readings in central California? 

I got two text alerts this morning, and on the map I see three sites around me with elevated readings. But the one in Roseville is obviously a false alarm. The San Jose (Station ID 5:916) and Fresno (Station ID 5:920) sites do seem to show slightly elevated radiation, creeping upward over the past couple of days. It's probably just random, but still has me concerned. Did Fukushima release another cloud of radiation?

I just did a 10-minute scan in my kitchen and found the radiation level is normal. But maybe outside is different?

Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:38 pm

Hi rstaton and all,
I noticed Fresno was on NETC "Alert" status mid-afternoon today. I'm in the CA Central Valley (Turlock station, inactive NETC posting for now). Normally I'll avg. about 20 CPM indoors w/my GQ300E w/Raspberry Pi, outdoors in the area I'll log CPMs at about 18-26, highest ever was at 47 CPM.

Friday (6/6/14) in/about the Turlock DMV I logged CPMs at 145-190 (Gamma-5) outside walking around the parking lot, and 90-145 INSIDE the DMV! (Note: Their doors remain open, and one worker expressed concerns about the high number of DMV coworkers who have been diagnosed with cancer in recent years.)

Driving in/about Turlock rads were much less, but still in the high 30's CPMs. Late morning (6/6/), readings fluctuated considerably, but peaked at 207 CMP in front of my house--YIKES! Later, I realized that my proximity to certain makes/models of cars (Japanese--not mine) may have triggered the astronomically (for my area) high readings. (I'm going back to test this theory.)

The readings have continued to be on the high-side since then, but nothing like the CPMs that I saw last Friday. Looking at some of the other West Coast NETC figures, it does appear that we're being hit by some rad wave, likely from Fuku as WIPP rads and other nasties seem to drift north/eastwards from the NM site, IMO.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:28 pm

I did a longer sample at my cubicle at work, to have better accuracy. The reading was 15% higher (+/- 3%) than a baseline I established 6 months ago. So, it would appear there really is some small increase in radiation in this area. I can do more comparisons later. I previously established a baseline in many locations, along with estimated accuracy.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:58 am

Sparky and Rstation,
I noticed the California readings were higher on the netc.com map too. I was in Tulare Co. the last few days and my G.c. read higher readings than normal by about 25 %.
The West Coast has been quiet for the last couple of months but recently I've noticed higher readings from Canada south so it very well could be related to Fukushima.

Maybe the source is Diablo Cyn. venting in California as well. One evening I was driving north on Ca.Hwy.99 and to the west in the same general area as Diablo Cyn. I saw a series of vertical clouds on the horizon, 6 or 7, each about a half mile apart drifting to the east in procession right about sundown. The clouds looked like timed smoke stack emissions, puffs. I took pictures of the clouds.

GRR

Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:41 am

Hi folks, GRR, can you post the cloud pics? We're getting some unusual cloud formations around our area as well, but I attributed them to the near constant chem trail cloud seeding.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:57 pm

I'll try to find the exposures but it won't be today....

Basically they were very unusual vertical clouds like puffs from a train very tall and equally spaced apart moving very slowly west to east, almost standing still from my perspective. Now that I think of it they must have been more like 2 to 3 miles apart considering the distance away I was from them, maybe even more. They were so unusual that I stopped and took a few pictures of them. That's when I became more suspicious of what it is they do at Diablo Canyon exactly. Does anyone have any information as to the amount of stored waste there or what they release into the air above the San Joaquin Valley and how often? Personally I think that plant needs to be decomissioned because if that baby leaks the nations'/ world's food supply will be greatly affected as well as the economy of California for years. On top of those obvious issues the Sierra snow pack will be radioactive, the coastal waters will be destoyed and all the retired 65 year olds with their 35 year old wifes won't be able to get breakfast at the Madonna Inn anymore or walk along Pismo Beach.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:39 pm

Agree, I worry about Diablo Canyon often. Its all bad. I'm reminded of the adage that "all nuclear reactors spew radiation all the time". They should all be shut down! I avoid driving anywhere near there, and will most certainly avoid the Madonna Inn geriatric tourist attraction given your observations. ;)

But I'll look forward to seeing your cloud pics when you're able to upload them. Thanks!

Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:02 pm

The Fresno station (ID: 4:920) clearly shows a significant spike around June 8-11. It's not directly downwind of Diablo Canyon, but I suppose it could have picked up a release. it's the closest monitoring station to Diablo Canyon. It would be nice if there were more monitoring stations to corroborate such things. The San Jose station has a very weak spike in the same time period. Is anybody here near Diablo Canyon with a geiger counter? It's about a 3-4 hour drive for me, so I could potentially check it out over the weekend.

Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:14 am

I just wanted to point out that it's the EPA beta monitoring station that shows the clear spike in radiation for June 8-11. This is only visible on the members-only map, and only if you have the right check-boxes checked. If you look via the non-member map, you'll be looking at the EPA gamma (not beta) monitoring station, which still has a spike but it's very weak.

The spike is most visible when viewing the 3-month time window, where it does a 1-day average (instead of 1-hour averages). :D

Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]