View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 New member questions and thoughts 

Just joined...live in Dallas...Have to say I don't know much about radiation and the more I read the more confused I get..all the different types,levels etc...It does keep me up at night ...and Im very concerned about the things I read mostly from ENE....Its like a bad dream...I don't even discuss it with anyone because they look at me like Im nuts...Thinking about getting a geiger counter for piece of mind....I guess my question is what levels of CPM should be concerning...Dallas seems to be high...I knew the day I saw Fukushima blow it was not good...but now it seems the WHIP is ,or could be just as bad... How many members does this site have....? Thinking of getting that Inspector geiger is that a good one.....? Are there any charts that can tell me what levels I should think of leaving a certain location...that are dangerous....? I was in Hanalei a couple of years ago and smelled that smell..have smelled it here as well.....

Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:27 am

Texas wrote:
Just joined...live in Dallas...Have to say I don't know much about radiation and the more I read the more confused I get..all the different types,levels etc...It does keep me up at night ...and Im very concerned about the things I read mostly from ENE....Its like a bad dream...I don't even discuss it with anyone because they look at me like Im nuts...Thinking about getting a geiger counter for piece of mind....I guess my question is what levels of CPM should be concerning...Dallas seems to be high...I knew the day I saw Fukushima blow it was not good...but now it seems the WHIP is ,or could be just as bad... How many members does this site have....? Thinking of getting that Inspector geiger is that a good one.....? Are there any charts that can tell me what levels I should think of leaving a certain location...that are dangerous....? I was in Hanalei a couple of years ago and smelled that smell..have smelled it here as well.....

Most of us know first hand about being looked at like we are nuts when trying to tell others about the current radiation situation from Fukushima, WIPP & Hanford to mention a few.

If you buy a geiger counter, you need to get some base readings to understand what is a normal range for your area. Texas has more dust blowing daily than my area (Northern Illinois) so I would expect higher readings from your location than mine using the same exact setup that I have.

As I sit here and type this, our kids want to go outside on the swing set but my radiation station keeps giving me voice alerts telling me that the CPM is higher than my preset level of 32 CPM. I consider an average CPM of 17 - 21 an acceptable level for our kids to go outside. My last 24 hour NETC chart data shows at 9am CST today my unit registered a 1-minute reading as high as 47 CPM and current reading a 24-hour average of 24 CPM. If I did not have this outside radiation station setup, I would be clueless.

I want to stress that the readings above are only with my equipment and I am in no way saying what a scientific safe level of radiation is, these are simply levels that I have determined acceptable (best I can hope for) for my family/area.

The thread to read updates about my station can be seen here: https://www.netc.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f ... 3&start=50

My station data can be found here: http://netc.com/chart/view.php?n=1%3AEB5A139C

Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:35 pm

+1, what cobra said...

Pls, don't let it keep you awake at night.

We're pretty much bollixed, and there ain't a thing that can be done abt it, except that there are any number of folks who strongly feel there are homeopathic remedies such as x, y, z, and other things.

Since you have now become aware there is a problem, best thing to do is make use of the information you have learned. Avoid living on the 'downwind' side of a NPP, don't move to the country, (in south-east washington state), or adjacent to the SRS... or near any one of the early NPP's built mostly on the eastern seaboard that are mostly beyond their effective, licensed, period.
They are mostly held together with duct tape, bailing wire, and chewing gum!.
Down-stream from the cooling effluent release on any plant is not a good bet either, because tritium can NOT be contained!

Sry.
Better go for an attitude adjustment.
rc

Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:18 pm

I think the Whip might have finally done the job...don't believe the info coming out of there...don't think the filter system was working at the time..

Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:10 pm

A few other things my family try to do...

Avoid x-rays unless really needed, dental inluded. Absolutely no panoramic dental x-ray either. We also try to avoid food from the West Coast, fish (tuna) included.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:54 pm

Not going to eat anything out of the Pacific...last year went to the Sea of Cortez with a friend on his boat, didn't eat fish, did a little diving though...when I got home, and I never get sick, I felt terrible, like i had the flu, run down, scratch in my throat...it lasted for a month, I always wandered if I got irradiated...

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:06 am

There's a story on ENE today stating Tepco's been aware all along of hundreds of different types of radioactive isotopes being released into the Pacific. Sounds like we either step in immediately or else this could be the final roundup.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:02 pm

Hi folks I am a member of NOWPA Nuclear Operations Watch Port Adelaide. I live in Adelaide South Australia. I found this site love it we need to work together to get the word out that Nuclear is not safe.

Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:18 am

Hey Texas, if you get a geiger counter the pancake ones are a bit better because there is more area to detect with versus the tube style. I've been running an air filter with the counter in front to get a constant view of air quality in my area, and it sort of opened my eyes to all sorts of more local sources of radiation. As is said above though, if readings are really high, might not be the best time to go for a jog. Also, if you get a spike, rather than freaking out about it just take the filter off, bag it, and see how long it takes to decay. I was getting crazy 1000+ CPM readings that decayed to background in 16 hours or so. Not time to flee, time to find ways of ventilating radon buildup.

Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:31 am

Morellio wrote:
...if you get a spike, rather than freaking out about it just take the filter off, bag it, and see how long it takes to decay. I was getting crazy 1000+ CPM readings that decayed to background in 16 hours or so. Not time to flee, time to find ways of ventilating radon buildup.

I disagree somewhat, I think first it would be time to find out what the source of the radiation is along with ways to do better ventilating should it happen again. Due to the decay rate you mentioned in your example, it likely might be mostly radon but this build up you suggest would have to be a large source to reach 1000+ CPM in such a short time. Remember how fast the decay rate is for radon.

Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]