View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 ALERT - Leak at Pilgrim Nuclear Power Plant 

Quote:
PLYMOUTH, Mass. (CBS/AP) — The Pilgrim nuclear power plant in Plymouth was shut down last weekend so workers could repair what ownership called a small steam leak in the plant’s feed water system.

A spokeswoman for the plant said Pilgrim remained offline as of Tuesday morning. There was no timetable for bringing it back online.

The plant’s owners and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission said there was no threat to the public.

The plant released a statement that explained that the leak was being monitored when the leakage rate increased. This prompted the decision to take down the plant on Sunday at about 6:30 p.m.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/09/10/p ... r-repairs/

We know that often when there is a problem at a nuclear plant they turn down the power of the reactor. I can not prove it but I believe maybe they previously turned down the power on the reactor to reduce the amount of the leak (being monitored) so it would fall below the amount (by the NRC) that would require a shutdown of the reactor. Only when the leak increased did they decide to shut it down. Of course the comments above are only what I believe, I can not prove it.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:24 pm

This is a BWR (Boiling Water Reactor) which I hate. If this report had come from a PWR (Pressurized Water Reactor) plant I would blow it off as not a critical issue. But in these type nuclear reactors it is a critical problem and it concerns me that they continued to operate even though they knew that there was a leak.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]