View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Consistently Higher Reports than Other Locations?? 

Hello

I see some sites have consistently higher reported counts than most other sites, What is Going ON??

i.e Eureka California seems to be consistently higher count rate than other locations on the West Coast.

Questions that come to mind:

Are there trade winds, currents etc. that bring the radiation count up at that location?

Are there local conditions resulting in higher counts i.e. natural outcroppings of minerals, "Radon" at the reporting location, possible debris from the ocean currents on the shoreline , raising the counts?

What about Fresno, Bakersfield and Anaheim, California ??

What do you think ?

J

Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:47 am

Often we can only speculate what the cause is and it is very rare if we can prove what the cause is from. There are just too many variables that are unknown to us with others stations. I have seen many station operators unable to pin point a cause from a rise at their own location with many known variables, I would be one of them. In fact, I have two units at my house to compare and confirm readings. Our main purpose is to alert each other of high or simply rising levels of radiation so we can take mitigation steps. For example, when I see higher than normal readings in my area I do not let the kids play outside. As for rain, I try to always avoid it and wear a hood to avoid it touching my head when I have to be in the rain.

You mentioned radon. Do you have a digital radon detector?

I own two of them and they have been very helpful. In my basement, the first readings were in the teens pCi/L and around 8 pCi/L upstairs before installing a radon mitigation system. Now it is less than 5 pCi/L downstairs and less than 2 pCi/L upstairs.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:24 pm

Hello

while i live in Portland area, I see the other station in the Portland area (Station ID 5:907) has much higher readings than mine. I am wondering if the other station has not been calibrated or is reading high for voltage or other reasons. I have calibrated my unit using a test piece from the 50's (sure you may scoff) but it reads well withing the matching calibration piece set emissions.

Any ideas as to the difference in local count as my count remains stable, unless I place a uranium ore, or the test piece then they go up the expect amount.

Looking for suggestions as to the great disparage in the readings (less than 5 mile distance)

Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:35 pm

Somewhat related to this topic; I just pulled out my GMC-300 at work near southfield, MI. and placed it on my desk about a foot away from the window. I am reading 60-80 CPM which is very high. The last time I tested this location it was around 20-25 CPM just a few weeks ago. My NETC station about 20 miles away (Station ID 1:EB072480) is reading 20-30 as normal.

So what the heck is going on here? I have never seen counts higher then 20-30 on my GMC-300 other then when testing and the other 2 NETC stations in Michigan are reading normal.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:31 pm

Well shoot, looks like my GMC-300 is having issue and giving me false readings. I placed it right next to my NETC monitoring station (GMC-200 and Pi) and it is still reading over 100 cpm where as the 200 is reading a more normal 30.

Also confirmed by my Russian -88 Geiger counter that there is no increase in radiation so my GMC-300 is shot. Too bad it was a good Geiger counter right up till today.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:03 pm
Site Admin

Hi Jones9999 Remember that your Geiger Counter is completely different the the EPA's gamma range #5. It is like you both are looking at the moon, you with your eyes and the EPA using a telescope. Who is going to see the most details of the moon?
Harlan

Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:39 pm

@hey - I like your comparison with the telescope.

@rdesrosi - Sorry to hear about your GMC-300 problems. Do you still get the higher false readings after you power down and restart the unit? I have been lucky with mine, I have dropped it 4x hard and it still works fine for me. I use it everyday during the drive to work, at work and the drive back home. How long have you owned it?

Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:35 pm

yeah it still reads very high even after shutting it down for an extended period of time. The readings seem to slowly cycle from 30 up through 100+ then back down to 30 again for no reason. I guess I can call GQ and see what the repair cost would be.

It just started doing this on Monday after it went unused for a few weeks so am not sure what happened but hope it is repairable. I went with the 300 as apposed to an inspector mainly due to price, sure hope I didn't make a mistake.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:04 am
Site Admin

when i email GQ Electronics about my GMC-200, they said that there is a one year warranty, which is a lot better than most GC warranties. All i had to do was ask for a RMA# and pay for the postage ( both ways ). a lot cheaper than a new one. KingCobra keeps dropping his unit and it keeps ticking; but I think your unit is a fault in the charging circuit of the battery. To prove it, run the unit until the battery is empty, then plug it in and see if the unit has the correct reading until its battery is recharged..
Harlan

Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:23 pm

I own an InspectorEXP geiger counter too and I don't regret buying it. I might regret it, that all depends on how long the pancake geiger tube in it lasts. The Inspector brand new only has a 90 day warranty on the pancake geiger tube. I understand to get that replaced it might cost around $200 to repair.

Even as an owner of the InspectorEXP, Mazur 9000, Polimaster 1703, GQ GMC 300 & 5 of the GQ GMC 200 units I highly recommend both GQ units. For the function, price and durability I don't believe they can be beat. One of my GMC 200 units has been running in a ziplock sandwich bag outside since Winter. I would never risk doing that with my InspectorEXP due to replacement cost.

Everyone that cares enough to have a smoke detector in their house for safety & security should have at the very least a GQ GMC-200 hooked up real-time and sharing their readings with the world using NETC free Windows program. This is a total cost of less than $100. I would prefer people using the GMC-200 outside on an air purifier like me but anything is better than nothing at this point.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next