View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Returned my defective GC-300E..other detectors? 

Randy: I understand and see what you mean about the tube burning out. My monitoring is not 27/7 either. I am not worried about the tubnes (I have two in my unit) burning out, but it's just not convenient for me to have it hooked up all the time. I suppose I should buy a GC-200 and just leave it connected, but I am so peed off about the 300E conking out, I don't really want to spend more money with them. I already got a negative comment from their main man on their own forum because I posted here about the 300E conking out. He accused me of being from a competitiors organization. I told him I was retired and I used the refund money to buy a 1950s CDV-700 that works great. I also told him with all the complaints popping up (there are more on their forum) they should be more concerned with qaulity control.

Update: ZLM at the GMC forum has posted a VERY nice comment after I posted the one replying to his accusation and I retract the negative things I said about the GMC units. It appears after my experience that they have made some changes and are now installing a better battery and have taken my advice about displaying the charge rate on the GMC300 even when the unit is turned off.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:53 am

Anyone heard of these guys before?

http://www.aw-el.com/

Their RM-60 is supposed to have a pancake tube in it but no power supply. It needs to be powered by a PC through the serial port. Looks to be under $200 and and might be a good option for a NETC station hooked up to an always on PC.

-Randy

Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:03 pm

rdesrosi wrote:

Their RM-60 is supposed to have a pancake tube in it but no power supply. It needs to be powered by a PC through the serial port. Looks to be under $200 and and might be a good option for a NETC station hooked up to an always on PC.

-Randy

I had never seen that before, thank you. I own a Black Cat Systems GM-45 pancake unit that runs off the power through my PC USB port. I have it too hooked up through NETC but I believe the Raspberry Pi is the best way to connect to NETC 24/7 because no standard PC is needed.

http://www.blackcatsystems.com/GM/products/GM45GeigerCounter.html

Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:37 pm

KingCobra wrote:
I am crossing my fingers that none of my pancake tubes fail.

fail? Could it be that the 90 day warranty is due to potential damage caused by the user? I have a number of different pancakes and the only time one has failed/died is when I have stuffed up. Too much moisture or physical damage to the mica window. Do you know of any that have died for no apparent reason ?

Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:29 am

rdesrosi wrote:

-Randy

Randy, The RM 60 uses an end window type gm tube (LND 712) which is a fun alpha detector but not much else. In my experience, a gamma tube or gamma/hard beta type (sbm 20 or similar) is better for background monitoring. GMC 200 seems like the best choice for the money.

Eat.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:48 am

eatliesndie wrote:
$2
KingCobra wrote:
I am crossing my fingers that none of my pancake tubes fail.

fail? Could it be that the 90 day warranty is due to potential damage caused by the user? I have a number of different pancakes and the only time one has failed/died is when I have stuffed up. Too much moisture or physical damage to the mica window. Do you know of any that have died for no apparent reason ?

I believe that is some of the reason, but I am sure not all of the reason. I remember reading about user Craig123 on EneNews and his pancake went out and he has gave me tips about how not to damage mine. These tips were well before his died and I am sure he took extra care of his.

As for the GMC-200, I own many of them. They have tested very well in the outside weather with nothing more than a thin ziplock sandwich bad to protect it. For the price of $85 I do not think it can be beat, but there have been growing reports of people with problems. First it seems it is kind of a hit or miss trying to get a good working unit from the manufacture. Second, the units that do work correcting brand new later seem to have something fail in them that causes a slow climb over time when connected to the AC charger and the internal rechargeable battery is fully charged. When removed from the AC charger the unit seems to then read the correct CPM.

I am a little tore right now as to which I would order (GMC-200 $85 or GMC-300 $135) if I was going to order another outside unit. Even knowing of the problems mentioned above, I might still go with the GMC-200 as my choice for an outside unit. If the GMC-200 is bought new and come DOA from the manufacture, it is still covered by a 1-year warranty for normal failure and to date I currently know of nobody that has not been able to get their unit repaired or replaced. I do understand that email only seems to be the manufactures only way of communication. Well the only one used anyway. Considering how it is always risky leaving your equipment outside both damage and theft, the low cost of the GMC-200 makes it an easy choice. I guess a AC timer that cuts the power to the GMC-200 and requires it to run off the internal battery once or twice a day could be a workaround for the problem if it arises. The internal battery should last 24-36 hours.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:58 am

Given the choice between the GMC200 and the 300 series, I would go with the 200 in a heartbeat. Much less possibility of stuff going wrong. Seems like the more "features" they build into a unit, the less reliably it performs. The GMC200 is the epitomy of the K.I.S.S. principle. :D

Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:52 am

Deputy wrote:
Given the choice between the GMC200 and the 300 series, I would go with the 200 in a heartbeat. Much less possibility of stuff going wrong. Seems like the more "features" they build into a unit, the less reliably it performs. The GMC200 is the epitomy of the K.I.S.S. principle. :D

I learned that K.I.S.S. (K)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid principle in electronics class. 8-)

Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:08 am

FWIW, have had my GMC-300E for two weeks and have done some serious background monitoring 24/7. While repeatability results are outstanding, ability to import CSV files to EXCEL allows documentation and stat/pattern analysis.

What I discovered is that there are (at least) two ways that the readings can read flatline while the meter itself is OK.

(1) If data logging using the DataLoggerPRO V5.34 and one is NOT running 57600 Baud, the unit quietly and unobtrusively reads flatline. Unless one switches to 57600 baud, the problem looks unsolvable.

(2) It is very easy, while looking at the graphic zoom settings, to set X 0.1. Being a dummy, I did this and saw a flat line for a headache inducing couple of hours. I fixed it by making sure to set the graphic zoom to AUTO. (most anything BUT X 0.1 would have worked) Then all has worked well.

IMO the GMC 300E is unbeatable (for me) due to its data logging capabilities and steady repeatable data. It is a shame that the two 'flatline' problems were not addressed by the manufacturer.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:31 pm
Site Admin

I glad you like GMC-300E, all the packages that Netc.com is the GMC-300E. I plan on updating the webpage soon.
Harlan

Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6