View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 West Coast vs the rest of the US? 

Hi, I actually had a question I was hoping you guys might be able to answer. I was going to move to Seattle before Fukushima happened. Ever since, I have been trying to figure out if that area is truly getting slammed by radiation worse than the rest of the country. I decided to move to the East coast instead... but after finding this site, it seems as though all the alerts I see jump over the Seattle area and settle elsewhere. I know some of the worst readings have been where we are at now... the rockies. The east coast seems to be constantly lit up, and the middle of the country seems to get a bunch of waves. The Seattle area actually seems like the least affected. Am I reading it all wrong? I know soon after the disaster, Colorado and Pennsylvania had horrible readings because of rainfall... as did most of the country... but could Seattle actually be much safer than they have made it seem? Many Thanks, and I apologize if this isn't in the right section.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:03 pm
Site Admin

When I design this program a year ago, the goal was to find the best and worst places to live based on radiation levels. The top two places were San Juan, Puerto Rico and Seattle, WA. The worst places was harder to tell because of the different types of gamma radiation, Montana and North Dakota and North Carolina, I would think twice about. Now for Colorado - Many nuclear tests were done there in the 60's and 70's, in the mountain ranges. There are a lot of Uranium mines in that area. So be prepared for radiation to increase.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:20 pm

Wow! Thanks for your reply! So it is true? I can't quite wrap my head around the science behind it.... it seems like it would be the worst. Is it because of that little curve the jet stream and currents take right before they hit that piece of land? Or because everything is still airborne (and pretty high up) until it hits mountains as it head across the country? Because I did notice spokane keeps getting drenched in radiation.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:28 pm
Site Admin

this is my opinion after watching netc.com software develop. The radiation from the winds, jetstream, comes down from Canada goes east of the Rockies. The winds blow east too, so the middle of the US get hit both times. It is really strange between two cities, Seattle and Spokane Washingtion. Seattle on the west side of the Rockies and has low NORM and Spokane, about 250 miles away has high NORM radiation. You just pick the wrong side of the mountain.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:48 pm

I have noticed this on the radnet info too... is there anything that might be coming over from Fukushima that wouldn't be detected there or showing on netc? I have wanted to move there since before the event... and finally decided to give up on it and move to the east coast. It was watching high levels hit the east coast in waves that I finally happened upon this site. What a blessing! If it is true, and Seattle is truly kind of a safety zone, I will turn my move around in a heartbeat. If it was just me, I would have already gone. However, with a family, I have tried to be super careful. Do you know how far north this zone goes? As far as Vancouver? The city I had my heart set on is between Vancouver and Seattle. Also, I really appreciate your responses. It has been so frustrating seeing all this information all over the web, but never having anyone to ask about it :)

Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:57 pm
Site Admin

As the radiation increases, Seattle will not be safe too. They will have higher radiation levels from the Japan junk, so a personal Early Warning Radiation detector will help. The GMC-300 has an alert level setting that you can carry with you or put a system together that can be put on your back porch to warn your family.

The problem with the East Coast is People. Where will you go if a nuclear event happens? How will you survive for two to 8 weeks for food and shelter? With your job, you must be lucky to choose your destination?

Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:23 pm

Ah, so they are just low levels for now, but will soon catch up? I found this article on debris... considering where they have been, are the levels really that high (I mean a huge part of that is normal background radiation right)? LoL - oh boy, I guess it sounds like I am trying to talk myself into the area being safe. :?
http://rense.com/general96/olymp.html

But it seems like the east coast is already getting pelted, right? Or is it mainly the middle of the country (where I am now) :roll:

What are your thoughts on Vermont, Maine, and Virginia?

Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:07 pm
Site Admin

Virginia, I lived there - to close to Washington DC. The other two states are at the end of the jetstream so the radiation will be lower and you could go to Canada if something happens. Have fun.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:25 pm

Thanks so much for all your insight. This page really is awesome :)

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:31 pm

There is no truly safe place to live, but there are some areas that show less potential for disaster than others. Radiation wise, the higher the elevation the more cosmic radiation you will receive each year. Other considerations are the materials used in the construction of your home, concrete and dense rock are more radioactive than wood and they can produce high levels of radon gas. Radon gas will collect in basements and tightly built structure with low air exchange rates.

If you have the liberty to live anywhere that you want in the world, or the USA, then here is what I would take into consideration. Proximity to Chemical plants first, I believe that chemical plants represent the highest level of eminent danger to those who live nearby and downwind of them. You can be exposed to large amounts of radiation and radioactive contamination and live for years with little or no adverse effects, but many chemicals can kill you or make you wish that you were dead almost instantly. Next I would consider the terrain, always check the flood, fire potential, hurricane risk and EQ history before moving to any new area. After all of that I would begin to look at proximity to Nuclear Plants. The highest risk plants are; Government operated plants, then experimental plants, then BWR reactors like the ones that melted down in Japan, and lastly the PWR reactors. It would be very hard to get completely clear from any of these plants in the USA.

Another factor that we don't take into consideration much anymore is living near high value military targets. The world's leaders seem bent on fighting a future WW III, and in that event a key factor will be neutralizing the military capabilities of the United States. We are a long way removed from the technology that produced the nuclear bomb, there may very well be new technology out there that is capable of defeating our defenses and thus allowing an enemy to destroy these targets.

Those are just some of my thoughts on the subject, but as for me I live with a chemical plant 30 miles to my west, and a BWR nuclear plant 40 miles to my East. I also live downstream of several Dams in a State that is prone to get hit by hurricanes, tornadoes and other extreme weather events. When it is time for me to go to my eternal home, there are plenty of vehicles available to get me there lol.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next