View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 West Coast vs the rest of the US? 
Site Admin

That is not nice to leave us hanging, where is this perfect place to live?

Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:36 am

Wow! That was a lot of fantastic information! I don't have the means to live anywhere, unfortunately, but I am currently having to move away from Colorado... so I figured, why not pick the safest spot. So, this post is so correct in that there is none, in trying to find it I have driven myself crazy with what is right around the corner. :lol:

I did find a really cool link, where if you put in the address, it will pull from lots of different sources to tell you what is right around it... including towers, tanks (and spills), corporate polluters, even sexual offenders. Combining it with the netc maps and the stateoftheair map from the American Lung Association has given me a good idea of where there are little pockets left for us. Don't worry, I won't kid myself that it is truly clean or safe.... but at least it is "probably" less than some places like downwind of a testing facility ;)
http://www.homefacts.com/
http://www.stateoftheair.org/2013/states/colorado/jefferson-08059.html

Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:21 am

hey wrote:
That is not nice to leave us hanging, where is this perfect place to live?

Haha, ikr? :lol:
It sounds dreamy :D

Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:24 am

Pete61 wrote:
There is no truly safe place to live, but there are some areas that show less potential for disaster than others.

I couldn't agree more! There are way too many factors other than just nuclear power plants. Like in so many other areas of life, people have to decide what factors they are most concerned with and focus in on that first. I do agree with your complete post above, even though I only quoted the first part of it. I do not own this book, but a friend of mine does and I understand it is a great resource to use:

Strategic Relocation--North American Guide to Safe Places, 3rd Edition by Joel M. Skousen

http://www.amazon.com/Strategic-Relocat ... Relocation

Personally, as much as the EPA station data shows Seattle as the lowest background radiation of all the states, it is still too close to the Pacific for me and the radioactive water that we understand is on its way over here from Japan. I don't remember the Handford nuclear site being mentioned in this thread either, that is currently our own little Fukushima here in the United States. I do not let the wife buy fruit from WA (try to avoid all food from the West Coast) so I would not consider moving there myself. In fact, I just recently looked at the EPA Seattle Washington two year chart and they too seen a jump in background radiation level between July & August that has not yet returned to the previous level.

NETC Subscription Members ONLY:

http://www.netc.com/chart/view.php?n=5%3A908

There are so many places in the U.S. that have had nuclear testing done in the past, nuclear waste buried, current nuclear research (mini reactors) being done and more... it is a gamble to live anywhere. At the end of the day we need to live where we are happy because life is a gamble.

Using the NETC package Raspberry Pi & software with GMC-200 geiger counter outside on my air purifier running 24/7 alerting my family and in real-time using NETC's softwares built-in voice audio alerts each time my background radiation level hits my preset level of 32 cpm or higher I believe is the best way for everyone anywhere to handle the daily outside background radiation changes.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:25 am

The perfect place to live on earth is all in the heart and mind of the individual, there is no perfect answer. We all must live in a place where we can have the means to support ourselves and provide for any family or dependents, for some this is wide open but for others it is very limited. Then we need to be in an area with like minded people and recreation that is suitable to our psychological, emotional, physical and spiritual needs. If these needs are not met then we become depressed and we are then prone to all kinds of ailments. There is also personal health issues that must be taken into account, pollen counts for people with allergies, humidity for people with breathing problems, cold extremes for people with arthritis etc.

I live within a 2 hour drive of hundreds of family members, friends that I grew up with, and both former and current Church members that are like family to me, so I have a huge support group. I like to fish for recreation so I live near some of the best fishing areas in the Country. My only son works at the chemical plant that I mentioned in my last post, so I am far enough away from him to stay out of his business, but close enough to be able to spend time with him when he is available. I am disabled with some serious health problems, so I chose a city that could provide reasonable care and amenities that would make life easier for me. I chose a place to live that was above the high water mark even if the dam were to burst. It is also on the edge of town and near wilderness areas that give me access to safe bug out routes and locations. I am within 10 miles of a major National evacuation route, in a National emergency I could be on the road and headed out before an evacuation order was even issued. There is a 3 or 4 engine fire department less that 1 mile away and several County and Municipal police officers live in my neighborhood. There is also a middle school across the road that is mainly populated by children from middle class families insuring that there will be rapid response for any violent crimes or drug dealing in my area. And of great importance to me there is a like minded Church 5 miles away that provides for my spiritual needs and fellowship with people that I relate to and that are moral and trustworthy.

Some of these things I knew before I moved to this location, and some of these things I only realized after I had already moved. I don't think that we should haphazardly make decisions on where we live, and we certainly should never allow our emotions or media hype chose the place for us. If you sit down and carefully list your needs and the things that are important to you, then you can eliminate all of the places that will not supply the things that will lead to a healthy and happy life. Next you can eliminate any areas that are too physically or monetarily restrictive. Of the areas that are left you can then look for those with the largest population of like minded people and that will provide for your recreational needs. Now check those areas against the map of known safety and security concerns to find the safest places that will meet all of your needs and alleviate the most of your concerns. Once yo have isolated your top choices you can then narrow down your search to available jobs, housing, schools, hospitals and anything that will be convenient and make your life easier. When you find your best choices then you can start a micro search on the ground for the perfect place just for you!

Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:21 pm

^^^ Beautiful, I guess it really is about seeking a space that makes you happy... then trying to make it work.

Also, I have decided, no matter where we go, I am just going to beef up our immune systems with our diet. Chorella & safe spirulina (omega's, selenium, iodine, etc).

Any other recommendations?

Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:22 pm

Health foods and supplements are not my area of expertise so when I need something specific I just have to research it. My policy is to eat a wide variety of foods and keep it to a diet natural to humans, in other words the things that we have been eating throughout recorded history. I eat real things as much as possible, like butter instead of margarine, and I try to eat all of the locally raised products that I can fit inside of my meager budget.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:21 pm

Non-GMO's are very important.

GMO's look like something God created but like nuclear, it has been altered by man and made bad!

Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:37 pm

Hey, HEY... Just out of curiosity, North Carolina and Montana? How do you find stuff out like that... (the gamma radiation you mentioned)? Whenever I look at NC, the readings usually look pretty decent... Just wondering because NC was on my backup list ;)

Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:32 am

Ooops wrote:
Hey, HEY... Just out of curiosity, North Carolina and Montana? How do you find stuff out like that... (the gamma radiation you mentioned)? Whenever I look at NC, the readings usually look pretty decent... Just wondering because NC was on my backup list ;)

Personally I would love to have a cabin in a remote section of the Appalachians, Including those in NC, for a bug out location. You would have an above average amount of forageable foods and you would be in an area that is historically safer for almost every natural disaster. Plus in the event of a major war, those mountains would probably be one of the last areas of the Country to fall into enemy hands.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next