View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Outdoor enclosure ideas 

skybug wrote:
I do like the setup that has the Raspberry Pi with it and seen this nice small monitor that will run on it, thats cool!

What is great about the Raspberry Pi setup is that whatever home wifi network you have the Raspberry Pi connected to, you can access the unit easily through any PC through the PC browser on the same home wifi network.

I get such good readings with the GMC-200 as-is in its case on the face of the purifier, I have no reason to remove it from the case and risk damage to it.

As for running the same geiger counter on NETC and GeigerGraph software from Radiation Network at the same time, I believe it has been tried already and it did not work. I suggest just having two GMC-200 units, one on each network. I have done just that, one GMC-200 on NETC and another GMC-200 running with GeigerGraph on Radiation Network 24/7. Having a backup/extra GMC-200 is a good idea to have around. When you get high readings, without a second geiger counter to verify the readings... even you will not be sure if the readings we real or not and after the radiation passes it is too late.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:13 pm

hey wrote:
All my units uses wifi adapters on the raspberry Pi. Are you using wapp4netc.exe software?

big pigeons - the siren on the PI at the alert levels seem to chase the pigeons away. Yes the PI has a voice too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4TttXBmN14 my unit outside on the back porch

Very good on the Pi, I have enough going on, I don't want to get into another micro processor project.
I think the youtube video is so cool, think the neighbors would drive you out of town!
Yes, using wapp4netc, next question: it would be nice if there was a config file of some kind so I would not have to touch the app every morning, I have to tell it what com port/ set audible alarm etc...
Gary

Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:30 am

wd9dui wrote:
Very good on the Pi, I have enough going on, I don't want to get into another micro processor project. I think the youtube video is so cool, think the neighbors would drive you out of town! ....

I do not want people to have a misunderstanding that the Raspberry Pi requires any computer/micro-processor knowledge to use above basic PC browser knowledge. In fact, people that only know how to surf the internet using a PC browser could easily use the Raspberry Pi with their geiger counter. The custom NETC software allows access in the units geiger features through any PC and standard web browser all using the same wifi network that the Raspberry Pi is connect to.

The siren/ALERT option you hear on the video using the Raspberry Pi is an option and it can be disabled by the user. I have it disabled on my outside unit for the very reason you mentioned, my neighbors. Although there is also an alert level users can select as an option which will simply speak to you saying that the WARNING level has been reached and then what the current CPM it recorded was. This WARNING option is what I have setup on my outside geiger counter to alert the kids when to come inside. Like the ALERT option the ALERT option are local station only levels, they have nothing to do with the RADCON levels over the NETC network. Your data is used for the NETC RADCON levels but the user has no control over those.

Again, the WARNING and ALERT levels are both different. The ALERT level has the siren and only goes off after the user set level is reached. It goes off a 10-minute average. The WARNING level does not have a siren, it only speaks that the alert level has been reached and what the current CPM it recorded. The WARNING level is not averaged, it is per minute so if 32 CPM is the user set level and it is reached for 1 minute... you hear the Raspberry Pi speak the warning and the current CPM.
..hey

Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2