View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Increasing the read-ability of GMC units 

There have been comments on the GMC forum about increasing the ability to read radiation on GMC units by providing "windows" in the case where the Muller tube is located. On my Atomic Dave dual-Muller tube unit there are holes drilled in the case along both sides where the Muller tubes are. You don't have to do the whole length of the case, just the area where the Muller tube is. I have no idea where the tube is located on the GMC units, so you will have to look for it.

Just a thought for those that want to improve the abilities of the GMC units. Your mileage may vary. :D

You can see the holes drilled in the case on both sides where the tubes are.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:35 am

The GMC-200 has a snap-on cover/lid that is not required to be on to function. I have in fact tried the GMC-200 without this cover and knowing how radiation is detected, taking the cover off will increase the detection rates of beta radiation. Although, the type of glass GM tube found in the GMC-200 has been know to be sensitive to light so I choose to keep the cover on to avoid false detections.

Here is a great learning video to help people understand how different types of radiation is and is not able to be detected:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSiNXBLfzK4

Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:25 pm

Technically, that video is incorrect. There is a fourth type of radfiation...X-Ray. :D

I plan on buying some Strontium 90, Cesium 137, and obtaining some Americium 241 from a Wallyworld smoke detector. That will allow me to pinpoint how well each of my geigers detects each radiation type. No way to get X-Ray equipment, though. :(

Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]