View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Americium 241...yikes! It's HOT!! 

Just obtained a couple of Americium 241 samples and WOW, they are pretty hot. When I checked them using a CDV-700 with CDV-700RP pancake probe I had to switch all the way over to X1000 before the needle wouldn't be buried. Good thing it's radiation range is very small (readings didn't occur until the probe was quite close) and it is easily blocked by most objects. I bought a "Micro Lead Pig" off E-Bay and it stops all Alpha radiation 100% with it (http://www.ebay.com/itm/221290802614?ss ... 1497.l2649).

If you have samples of this stuff I highly recommend you keep them locked up and away from pets and children. The real danger is if they are swallowed. I have no kids and I still keep all my samples locked up in my garage. :)

Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:37 am

FYI - Radioactive samples taken out of smoke detectors are illegal.

Deputy wrote:
I have no kids and I still keep all my samples locked up in my garage.

I do have kids and my hottest sample is the fiestaware saucer which is 38,000 CPM with InspectorEXP. I have it outside in the backyard far away from all of us. :lol:

Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:23 pm

You know, a piece of paper will stop all alpha particles.

Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:16 pm

Ex Navy Nuke wrote:

I can detect it over 12 feet away, there are more than just alpha but even if I could not detect anything from it at 12 feet I still want it as far away as possible.

Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:39 pm

KingCobra wrote:
$2
Ex Navy Nuke wrote:

I can detect it over 12 feet away, there are more than just alpha but even if I could not detect anything from it at 12 feet I still want it as far away as possible.

Exactly right. Children and animals have a way of taste-testing almost everything and these smoke alarm samples are very small items.

Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:15 am

While not fully advisable, it is not illegal to remove the source from a smoke detector which was sold to a consumer under an "E" license. The material is no longer regulated and the end user has nearly complete autonomy with regard to it's use. This is restated on virtually all detectors as pictured. Alongside is THE source foil, after removal from the mounting aperture. This one has a palladium top laminate, then a gold layer, followed by the americium(IV) oxide (americium dioxide uses improper nomenclature), and finally a silver backer. This foil measures just 223 microns thick and 2 mm in diameter.

Just FYI.

A_C

Attachments:
SNC00004.jpg
SNC00004.jpg [ 196.77 KiB | Viewed 38025 times ]
ionwarn1-highlighted.png
ionwarn1-highlighted.png [ 632.77 KiB | Viewed 38025 times ]
Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]