View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 600CPM -Is this concerning? 

kneu wrote:
I've been noticing that the reading from Billings, MT averages 600CPM -Station ID 5:811. This seems high. I am thinking about moving to a nearby town and am wondering if this might be a dangerous place. I am new to reading these monitors so apologies if I am mistaken. Thank you for any advice. -Kelly

I've been noticing that, too. Since I've been watching, it averages 300-500. It doesn't even go to radcon 2 until it's higher than that. I've been asking around, since I live in Montana. It may be the uranium mines in the Pryor Mountains. There are a lot of them. http://rtfitchauthor.com/2009/09/01/the ... -cocktail/ Although I think uranium is alpha, not gamma, is that right? And I don't know where the EPA station is located.

We are about halfway between Spokane and Billings as the crow flies, in Helena. In the rainshadow of the Rockies. I would like to get a geiger counter and get some readings here, which I expect will be lower than on the west side of the Rockies, where there is more precip.

When you're figuring out where to move to, state lines are not that useful. Mountain ranges are. Precipitation figures, too. And of course, the Equator!

Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:55 pm
Site Admin

Thanks for your post, very good information about China's Nuclear Power Plants.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:40 pm

picante wrote:
$2
kneu wrote:
I've been noticing that the reading from Billings, MT averages 600CPM -Station ID 5:811. This seems high. I am thinking about moving to a nearby town and am wondering if this might be a dangerous place. I am new to reading these monitors so apologies if I am mistaken. Thank you for any advice. -Kelly

I've been noticing that, too. Since I've been watching, it averages 300-500. It doesn't even go to radcon 2 until it's higher than that. I've been asking around, since I live in Montana. It may be the uranium mines in the Pryor Mountains. There are a lot of them. http://rtfitchauthor.com/2009/09/01/the ... -cocktail/ Although I think uranium is alpha, not gamma, is that right? And I don't know where the EPA station is located.

We are about halfway between Spokane and Billings as the crow flies, in Helena. In the rainshadow of the Rockies. I would like to get a geiger counter and get some readings here, which I expect will be lower than on the west side of the Rockies, where there is more precip.

When you're figuring out where to move to, state lines are not that useful. Mountain ranges are. Precipitation figures, too. And of course, the Equator!

Besides the mines, there are thousands of nuclear missiles buried through central Montana, plus Malstrom AF Base (one-third of the nation's land-based nuclear missiles) near Great Falls that could have something to do with the readings.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/20/minuteman-missiles-hidden-silos-america_n_1897913.html
http://www.nukewatchinfo.org/nuclearweapons/index.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/20/minuteman-missiles-hidden-silos-america_n_1897913.html
http://www.nukewatchinfo.org/nuclearweapons/index.html

Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:03 am

From the Huff Post article link above: "In fact, of the 1,000 Minuteman missiles deployed in the 1960s, nearly half of them remain. Those are 450 ICBMs still capable of reaching targets around the world as quickly as you could have a pizza delivered to your door."

It's a great article, and thanks for posting it. Yes, we have about 150 of these buried in silos an hour to the north and east of Helena. They aren't the greatest thing to have in the neighborhood, no. But they really have nothing to do with the high readings in Billings. That's a huge distance. Until we get actual radiation data from Great Falls, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about missiles releasing radiation.

I got curious about the dismantling process and found this: http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20 ... n-missiles
So the rockets are removed from the silos and transported to Ogden. Then "A Department of Energy team will pick up the warheads and take them to an undisclosed area for storage, he said."
Typically a lot of military nuclear material winds up at Hanford, the most contaminated site in the U.S.

I'll post a quick answer about the radiation network map on your Kalispell thread.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:30 pm

picante wrote:
From the Huff Post article link above: "In fact, of the 1,000 Minuteman missiles deployed in the 1960s, nearly half of them remain. Those are 450 ICBMs still capable of reaching targets around the world as quickly as you could have a pizza delivered to your door."

It's a great article, and thanks for posting it. Yes, we have about 150 of these buried in silos an hour to the north and east of Helena. They aren't the greatest thing to have in the neighborhood, no. But they really have nothing to do with the high readings in Billings. That's a huge distance. Until we get actual radiation data from Great Falls, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about missiles releasing radiation.

I got curious about the dismantling process and found this: http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20 ... n-missiles
So the rockets are removed from the silos and transported to Ogden. Then "A Department of Energy team will pick up the warheads and take them to an undisclosed area for storage, he said."
Typically a lot of military nuclear material winds up at Hanford, the most contaminated site in the U.S.

I'll post a quick answer about the radiation network map on your Kalispell thread.

NP! I think the biggest thing that makes me nervous about that area is coming across an article stating they failed a lot of their safety inspections *nervously bites nails* I wish I could stop looking stuff up... lol.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:26 pm

Yep, I ran across the same info about those in charge of the care and feeding of Minuteman missiles. We have a similar compulsion to look things up, but it gives me no anxiety to add to my store of knowledge. Maybe you just have a desire to make your decisions based on all the available information. That's better than poking a pin in a map, y'know! ;)

Your instincts are good -- don't move anywhere near Billings, but do get out of the Denver area. Just so you know, I saw a big spike at Grand Junction for a couple days, so I did some searching. There are two sites nearby where nuclear bombs were detonated underground (it was a fracking experiment, done in the 60s). Well, now they are doing hydraulic fracking in the same damn area! Really???

It may help immensely if you read Fukushima Meltdown and Modern Radiation. It's all about what you can do to decontaminate your body and help your cells & tissues regenerate from the damage. It certainly gave me more peace of mind.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:44 pm

Re-locating, My Two Cents :-)

It is very difficult, under any circumstances.
Moving TO some good situation is far better than being driven from a bad one.

There is probably no place worth speaking of, on the planet, that is safe from wind borne particles, if not ocean current. Some suggest the southern hemisphere... There are other problems there, and they may well enough become blessed with some similar nuclear event as time goes by.

Seattle?
Is it safe?
Sure it is! It's a very nice place! I was there not too long ago... Really green, nice people, and cool and wet.
And I continue to think of three things when Seattle comes up.
Trees, fishing, and Boeing.
Logging is just about toast. No comparison to what it once was, for many reasons I won't discuss here. (But who wants to work in a radioactive forest?)
Fishing has been on a major downswing for years, and as Fuk pollutes the Pacific who will be able to sell those fish?
Boeing. They are real. A fine manufacturer of a product used on a global scale. Recent production problems not-with-standing, they are a basic economic force in that area and DO swing the economy more so than those folks in Redmond.

Perhaps this is too simplistic?
Correct me, or amend this if you will...

Jobs, standard of living, cost of living, and other factors besides a major pollution event drive population masses between areas.
If there is a catastrophic event delivering immediate concern to the general public, causing panic, where will they flow? Would that be a wise place to be? What resources are there, before they arrive, en masse?

I wouldn't live in Richland, or the location of some Mark I fallout zone, but there are any number of un-tenable places to be, for all sorts of reasons.

A timely response is always beneficial when a disaster occurs, but caution and education remain a significant factors when making decisions.

...and I'm REALLY wishing I had wrote this offline instead of 'shooting from the hip' !

Best
rc

Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:03 am

If you've followed the readings ever since WIPP, the Midwest , TX and also follow the jet stream further east, it seems that these areas have been getting hit hard over the last month (averages are up) and the west coast has not been lit up like this. I think most of it is from Fuku (Hanford?) being carried over by the weather patterns and jet stream.

Southern Hemisphere? Is it stable? Where would you live?
New Zealand? Australia?
How can people just up and move? What about money, kids, school, jobs, family, health care?

This shit is out of control and when it gets to the boiling point, the root of all evil, money and power will win!
Those with the power and money will run off and hide deep beneath the earth in gigantic cities. We all know it and how many years have they been planning and stockpiling for this? I am sure there is some magic anti radiation pill as well. Thy have been putting it right in front of our faces and mocking us for years.

What about this Malaysian airplane? Did it disintegrate due to radiation? Did aliens come and take it away? Lol! Something is fishy there. Something is fishy with all that goes on these days. There is just too much weird shit going on these days.

This date has been popping in my head a lot lately.

May 9, 2015
5-9-15

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:25 am

Ooops wrote:
$2
KingCobra wrote:
$2
Quote:
I agree with you here. California was already hit hard BEFORE Fukushima. I made a map cross-referencing Nuclear Facilities, Nuclear Testing, Air Quality, and Fracking Shales.... and well, there really isn't much left. The closest thing I could find was E Maine & NW Minnesota.

Honestly, going over the overlapping maps, I would also include N of Seattle (Not Seattle though).... if it wasn't right across the ocean from Japan.

I would exclude California, Colorado, and Pennsylvania as the hardest hit by multiple sources.

The rest of the states either were either Fracked, Super Nuclear, or had poor Air Quality.

Speaking of Minnesota, you might find this interesting:

https://www.netc.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=75

Don't forget to look at this too:

Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, Ui vision of Minerals
http://conservancy.umn.edu/bitstream/59312/1/MGS_IC_19.pdf

Gads. Cross that off the list. Ummmm, so nowhere? LoL. 2 weeks till i have to move and my head is spinning.

What about Cape Coral, FL?

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:28 am

teeko71 wrote:

Gads. Cross that off the list. Ummmm, so nowhere? LoL. 2 weeks till i have to move and my head is spinning.

What about Cape Coral, FL?[/quote]

http://enenews.com/nuclear-expert-they- ... f-the-char :(

Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next