View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Radcon 5 in Colorado and Austin 

Well, relative radcon 5 anyway. Stay safe.

Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:10 pm

OK man. So I live in in Austin. I'm guessing I should be concerned about this. It sounds Alarming. I am confused about the readings frovided from the NETC monitoring network. Why is the CPM in most cities around the United States so high right now? Are we geting plutonium fallout from the jet stream?

I was under the impression that under 60 CPM was normal but the high counts appear to have been triple up to 10X that and what I would expect to be the "N.O.R.M." here in Austin prior to 03/11/2011. I have not joined as a paid member yet to this site but I think I may. Can somebody look up the historical figures for average background for Austin and post them here please! I'm going to post this as a separate topic, but should people be concerned about high CPM readings around the country right now? To see many locations around the country that have over 200 CPM consistently tells me that we must be recieving alot of fallout from Fukushima. It seems to be the only logical explanation.

I am also confused by the scale used to measure the radiation at the stations connected to the NETC. Are these set to only pick up gamma rays and if so why? Are the Geigers in the NETC network not set to pick up beta and alpha waves? Can someone please explain why the current geiger settings are used as opposed to others? I understand what CPM means and I understand some of the basics of how a geiger works but what I don't get is the graphs I have seen with several different color spectrum lines. I don't understand how to interpret that data. Will someone please explain or type the exact URL into your reply to the page and post here in the forum that explains this topic? Don't have me go looking for the needle in a haystack of blog lists.

Does this website have a search function? If not it should be built in.

Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:19 am

Welcome to NETC. You ask many questions, many of which will take a great amount of time for me to answer each, but many of your questions have already be asked and answered before in detail within this forum.

Please read every reply in this thread: https://www.netc.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=278 and also every topic/thread in
this section: https://www.netc.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=7

NMichael79 wrote:
I have not joined as a paid member yet to this site but I think I may. Can somebody look up the historical figures for average background for Austin and post them here please!

While I receive no money myself, I do not believe that $19.95 for a year of Chart Member access is too much to ask in order to continue paying for bandwidth and development.

* NETC already offers the public more FREE information than any other radiation monitoring network out there.

* NETC is the first and currently only radiation monitoring network to offer station operators free hosting of their stations with access online to their saved charts (most recent 3 months) with no purchase required.

* NETC does allow station operators to screen shot their graphs data and share it freely with the public.

While NETC does offer the EPA RadNet stations previous data (gamma channel #5 and beta) in an easy to read graph. If you want to view the EPA's RadNet data in their format, you can do that for free here: http://epa.gov/radnet/

Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]