View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Interpreting data from my GC/air filter setup. 
Site Admin

The filter is like the EPA filter system, so we can get better readings. The air filter should be set to a level of breathing in air into your lungs. Every thing is up for debate on using filters.
Harlan

Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:53 pm

Here is a good explanation of some of the radioactive components of radon gas and what they look like using a geiger counter and air filter device. According to this web page, the delay in the drop of your radiation levels after turning off the air cleaner is caused by Lead-214 (27 minute half life) and Bismuth-214 (20 minute half life) which are part of the decay chain for Radon gas.

http://www.blackcatsystems.com/GM/acc4.html

Note, I am NOT suggesting that you buy (or not buy) the product on this web page, but only pointing out the information about radon gas.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:16 am

@jbird - While shutting the air purifier off to record/monitor the decay rate, we prefer you just leave the unit run. The decay will be seen on the chart eventually if it is nothing more than radon. My outside station is a good example of this.

As for Black Cat Systems units, it is worth mentioning that the model GM-45 pancake model) has been tested using NETC free Windows PC software and is proven to work. I own the GM-45 model and having been running it in my house on NETC for about a year flawlessly.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:23 am

Hey guys, you had mentioned in several different threads you wish you had an outdoor enclosure that would protect against the elements so you could you house your detectors, filtration systems, etc. Could you describe what the ideal enclosure would look like...i.e. dimensions, materials, and special components needed, approximate price point, etc.?

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:38 am

EB789320 wrote:
Hey guys, you had mentioned in several different threads you wish you had an outdoor enclosure that would protect against the elements so you could you house your detectors, filtration systems, etc. Could you describe what the ideal enclosure would look like...i.e. dimensions, materials, and special components needed, approximate price point, etc.?

Are you a handyman? Are you suggesting designing one with the intention of sharing the design plans with other members?

The only problem is that we would all need to agree on a standard air purifier model. Even if we did, there is no gaurantee the manufacture would continue manufacturing that model/size.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:55 am

KingCobra wrote:
$2
EB789320 wrote:

Are you a handyman? Are you suggesting designing one with the intention of sharing the design plans with other members?

The only problem is that we would all need to agree on a standard air purifier model. Even if we did, there is no gaurantee the manufacture would continue manufacturing that model/size.

Well, I tend to tinker but I do have access to engineering talent in hardware, software, enclosure fabrication, design, electrical engineers, tool & die, etc. What would you propose is the best way to go about this and is it worth while to explore further if you all feel having an outside enclosure is really where you all want to be with your equipment?

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:12 am

EB789320 wrote:

Well, I tend to tinker but I do have access to engineering talent in hardware, software, enclosure fabrication, design, electrical engineers, tool & die, etc. What would you propose is the best way to go about this and is it worth while to explore further if you all feel having an outside enclosure is really where you all want to be with your equipment?

This offer is greatly appreciated. Although I have no clear idea of direction to go with a standard air purifier/enclosure I believe Harlan ADMIN/hey might suggest using his selection of purifier as the standard unit.

I would like to ask you if design/manufacture of a lead testing chamber/pig for the InspectorEXP is a possibility?

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:27 am

EB789320 wrote:

We could start with some general requirements that could fit several different air purifiers.

Materials:
Something that provides shielding and doesn't breathe, or allow sunlight or rain inside. Also something that won't rust and can take a few years or more of exposure to the elements.

Dimensions:
Width: 24"
Depth: 22"
Height: 36"

Features:
Cable run for power
Raised platform inside to keep everything off the ground
Upward facing vents front and back to prevent wind from pushing rain inside
Access door on the side

Fun remaining problems:
Creating ducting from the vents to the intake and exhaust of the air purifier while still allowing access to the Geiger counter.

Also might be worth checking out the EPA stations, there are some good images in the slideshow at http://epa.gov/radnet/about-radnet/science-note.html though you could only imagine how much those cost. The benefit of their filter is that it's easier to get a sample for mass spectroscopy.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:41 am

Did some more testing last night. CPM in the crawlspace under the house spiked at over 300, thanks for pointing me to Radon guys. The house was remodeled at some point and two sides of the crawlspace were walled off, so there is less passive ventilation and it's easy to see how there could be a buildup there.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:56 pm

Morellio wrote:
$2
EB789320 wrote:

We could start with some general requirements that could fit several different air purifiers.

Materials:
Something that provides shielding and doesn't breathe, or allow sunlight or rain inside. Also something that won't rust and can take a few years or more of exposure to the elements.

Dimensions:
Width: 24"
Depth: 22"
Height: 36"

Features:
Cable run for power
Raised platform inside to keep everything off the ground
Upward facing vents front and back to prevent wind from pushing rain inside
Access door on the side

Fun remaining problems:
Creating ducting from the vents to the intake and exhaust of the air purifier while still allowing access to the Geiger counter.

Also might be worth checking out the EPA stations, there are some good images in the slideshow at http://epa.gov/radnet/about-radnet/science-note.html though you could only imagine how much those cost. The benefit of their filter is that it's easier to get a sample for mass spectroscopy.

This is a great start and I will take a look at link that you provided as well!

Best,

Paul

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next