View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 West Coast Beach Radiation. Where Else? 

I have the same Geiger counter. I think it's a good idea to measure and RECORD baseline readings of what the radiation levels are now, BEFORE we suspect any radiation is arriving. I have checked some of the local beaches, and the levels were a little higher than I expected. But since I have never checked before, I have no idea whether that's normal.

When I do a measurement, I do a 10-minute timed sample. I write down what it is I'm measuring and where, the date, the timespan, other notes, and blocking material. Usually on the beach I have it in a plastic bag so I don't mess up the Geiger tube.

In my kitchen, I get about 0.11 uSv/h (37 CPM). On the beaches, I get about 0.20uSv/h (67CPM). At the infamous beach near Pacifica, I got 1.1 uSv/h (~370CPM).

I have also determined that at the background level in my kitchen, 0.11uSv/h, each 10-minute timed measurement has a 95% probability of being within 10% of the actual value. I also found that in order to increase the accuracy to 1%, I would have to run the sample for 100X as long (not the 10X you might intuitively expect). So, getting accurate measurements can be very time consuming.

Likewise, if the radiation level is 100X as high, I would get that 1% accuracy in a 10-minute time period. (Of course this is relative accuracy, using my Geiger counter only.)

Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:50 am

rstaton wrote:
I have also determined that at the background level in my kitchen, 0.11uSv/h, each 10-minute timed measurement has a 95% probability of being within 10% of the actual value. I also found that in order to increase the accuracy to 1%, I would have to run the sample for 100X as long (not the 10X you might intuitively expect). So, getting accurate measurements can be very time consuming.

We also have to remember that the longer we take a timed test there is more time to receive changes in the current background radiation levels that might swing wildly at times which then alter our test even more.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:22 am

chelseabree wrote:
Reno...I'm noticing that the avg. CPM for Reno, Nv. is higher than any other site on the West Coast. I'm new to this and trying to figure all this out. I can't understand why Reno's CPM avg is so high compared to West Coast beaches, even areas around Fukushima in Japan? Thoughts??
Thanks!

I've been noticing that it seems to be the higher altitude cities that have higher readings, aside from the beaches in mid and southern California. Luck of the air currents, I think.

I'm in southern Oregon in between the coastal range of mountains and the southern Cascades range; essentially in a giant valley. Our values (Grants Pass and Ashland areas) seem very low compared to the eye popping numbers being seen in San Diego.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:15 pm

This may be slightly off topic, but I've been wondering why the San Diego readings are intermittent? Sometimes the numbers are there, sometimes they are simply not listed.

Is that particular counter not reliable, is it an EPA site that doesn't want the higher numbers posted or what? The levels have been eye-popping for weeks now and it's disconcerting to have them go missing.

Thanks for the info and a very much needed service!

Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:19 pm

ebayfield wrote:
otnot Thanks for testing. No nukes here in BC either. Let's keep an eye on it; I'll be back out there on the beach in the next month or two.

Just occasional US sub visitors to CFB Esquimalt. Oops, not supposed to mention that.

Have you done any testing along the beaches of White Rock?

Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:05 am

signalfire wrote:
This may be slightly off topic, but I've been wondering why the San Diego readings are intermittent? Sometimes the numbers are there, sometimes they are simply not listed.

Is that particular counter not reliable, is it an EPA site that doesn't want the higher numbers posted or what? The levels have been eye-popping for weeks now and it's disconcerting to have them go missing.

Thanks for the info and a very much needed service!

The EPA station data is uploaded as soon as the EPA makes it available to the public. There can be and often are sometimes 6 hour periods or longer with no data from the EPA. This is why we need more private sites setup. In an emergency we do not expect the EPA sites to be available.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:11 pm

So the San Diego reporting station is an EPA station; thank you. My elderly aunt lives down there and she's been telling me that since the reports are intermittent, they're not valid.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:01 pm

signalfire wrote:
So the San Diego reporting station is an EPA station; thank you. My elderly aunt lives down there and she's been telling me that since the reports are intermittent, they're not valid.

If the station ID starts with 4: or 5: it is EPA.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:10 pm

I'm in Los Angeles. Just got a cpm count of ~95 at a local beach. Suggestions?

http://netc.com/chart/view.php?n=1%3AEB157607

Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:23 pm

EB157607 wrote:
I'm in Los Angeles. Just got a cpm count of ~95 at a local beach. Suggestions?

What model geiger counter and were the readings at ground level or waist?

Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next