View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Dutchsinse getting 32 CPM on Salmon Burgers 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDdwUryf ... 4-overview

With 2 Inspector model geiger counters sitting on top of the burgers. Also has videos of CPM in the fresh snow of Springfield MO.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:24 am

I just watched the video and from my study of food testing along with my own testing with an Inspector Alert (EXP) I need to point a few things out.

1. Unless I missed it, he did not do a 10 minute background radiation test to compare against his 10 minute results with the fish patty.

2. My regular background radiation level in Illinois using an Inspector Alert is easily between 37 - 42 CPM which is the same range he received off this fish patty.

Looking at the difference between both of his detectors final counts shows the results can easily vary so it is not true science to split hairs over such small changes. I do not eat fish anymore because I can not get trusted results testing with a geiger counter. Water helps to shield radiation so testing dehydrated food is better. We have to remember that natural potassium is found in foods too and will register on our geiger counters just like the nasty NPP / Fukushima stuff. Just because we see a higher reading from the food does not prove it is bad.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:43 pm

A few things to add..
-Alpha particles are easily blocked by meat.
-Radionuclides can easily be present in amounts below the detectable threshold of the IA that are damaging internal emitters.

Maybe the meat could be blended and spread out to allow for more chance of alpha emitters being on the surface? At this point though you really want to use liquid scintillation.
Put the entire detection/sample assembly in a lead box to lower background as much as possible?

KingCobra wrote:
I just watched the video and from my study of food testing along with my own testing with an Inspector Alert (EXP) I need to point a few things out.

1. Unless I missed it, he did not do a 10 minute background radiation test to compare against his 10 minute results with the fish patty.

2. My regular background radiation level in Illinois using an Inspector Alert is easily between 37 - 42 CPM which is the same range he received off this fish patty.

Looking at the difference between both of his detectors final counts shows the results can easily vary so it is not true science to split hairs over such small changes. I do not eat fish anymore because I can not get trusted results testing with a geiger counter. Water helps to shield radiation so testing dehydrated food is better. We have to remember that natural potassium is found in foods too and will register on our geiger counters just like the nasty NPP / Fukushima stuff. Just because we see a higher reading from the food does not prove it is bad.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]