View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Thoughts on time outside on elevated days... 

I am just wondering, when you see your city with a radcon 3, would you go about your daily business as usual? Would you spend prolonged time outside? I have been trying to go with the flow and plan our days around the higher elevation days... but it shows a radcon 3 for a week solid now...

Radcon 4, radcon 5, forget about outside play, however, what are your thoughts on being out in Radon 3? Just a slight deviation from the norm? Ignore it and keep your eye out for a 4 or 5?

Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:29 am

My wife & I do not let our kids outside during higher levels. You can not go by the EPA stations because they are not updated every minute. The EPA only gives NETC the data in chunks. Often by the time you see the data, it is already passed.

We treasure the outside air purifier radiation station we have setup using the GMC-200 geiger counter. This makes a full year that I have had it running outside giving us per minute readings.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:06 pm

Higher levels as in 2,3? or 4,5?

What about recess at school? Do you ask them to keep them in?

Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:42 pm

I use our outside radiation air purifier station to get good data of what my areas normal (or best level I can expect to see) and I make anything above that my level of concern. While NETC and the RADCON system/symbols do assist me at seeing the U.S. radiation picture as a whole, I do not use those levels to make my safety decisions for my family. The CPM level that I use would likely be different for others due to their location and equipment of choice (geiger counter & air purifier) to use.

Since most of the time higher radiation levels are seen during rainfall and most schools do not have the kids play outside in the rain, that shouldn't be much of a problem. Homeschooling is always an option for some.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:30 pm

Better days gone past?

Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:21 pm

OK, for today’s Rainy Day Wednesday Idea try… going outside to play!!

Perhaps you might wish to visit this source...
http://www.thepottershandacademy.com/ra ... g-outside/

Sad.
This becomes depressing.

Do NOT type in google images and look at 'playing in the rain' !

Yes, I do believe Pandora's box has been opened.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:49 pm

IKR? Playing in the rain was one of my favorite memories as a kid... yesterday we were at a radcon4 till it snowed - then a radcon1. It breaks my heart that when we went out after that, I had to tell them not to play in it :(

Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:53 am

I have a couple of questions and some statements as well.
Why are we all sitting around not doing a damned thing about this? Is there not a group or should we not build a group of like humans who want and should do something about this? To raise hell and ruckus, to inform others? Or maybe form a community and grow our own food, build our own shelters? Are we too late?

Why is the midwest, especially KC and upper mid east getting hit so hard? It has almost been constant since the beginning of 2014. KC is is always Radcon 3, 4, or 5. I hardly ever see any EPA stations in Cali or Pac NW at 4 or 5. What gives? Can anyone shed any light on this?

I understand netc uses EPA #5 Gamma stations? Is that correct? If so, where are the high counts of gamma in KC coming from? The Sun, WIPP, Fracking EQ's, Fukushima, Hanford?
Today we are having a beautiful sunny weather day, but the counts are so high I am afraid to go out and enjoy it. My kids are at school and we are all getting fried?

King Cobra - how sensitive are your counters? Do they detect all forms of radiation? How can an EPA Station# 5 be high but someone in the same area with a regular counter be low?

Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:30 am

teeko71 wrote:
King Cobra - how sensitive are your counters? Do they detect all forms of radiation? How can an EPA Station# 5 be high but someone in the same area with a regular counter be low?

My outside unit is a GMC-200 on the face of an air purifier for better detection rates.

My inside unit is a pancake geiger counter, no purifier.

The inside unit helps me to confirm outside gamma trends and works great as a backup unit if things really hit the fan in terms of fallout.

Most of the NETC private units are not outside or on an air purifier. Look in the stations description to see if it is outside & on an air purifier. The staff at NETC prefer (not required) outside units on an air purifier.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:54 pm

teeko71 wrote:
I have a couple of questions and some statements as well.
Why are we all sitting around not doing a damned thing about this? Is there not a group or should we not build a group of like humans who want and should do something about this? To raise hell and ruckus, to inform others? Or maybe form a community and grow our own food, build our own shelters? Are we too late?

Why is the midwest, especially KC and upper mid east getting hit so hard? It has almost been constant since the beginning of 2014. KC is is always Radcon 3, 4, or 5. I hardly ever see any EPA stations in Cali or Pac NW at 4 or 5. What gives? Can anyone shed any light on this?

I understand netc uses EPA #5 Gamma stations? Is that correct? If so, where are the high counts of gamma in KC coming from? The Sun, WIPP, Fracking EQ's, Fukushima, Hanford?
Today we are having a beautiful sunny weather day, but the counts are so high I am afraid to go out and enjoy it. My kids are at school and we are all getting fried?

I did, I just moved to the East coast to get further away from it while I pick my final destination. I would love to find a community to do that with... I have become very interested in Aquaponics lately.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next