View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Fire close to nuclear power plant in California 
Site Admin

Newsreported said when the fire was getting close to nuclear power plant, "Do not worry, the nuclear power plant is shut down"

What is wrong with that statement???????

Wed May 14, 2014 10:17 pm

Yikes!!

Thu May 15, 2014 2:14 pm

Hello, I have a PRM-9000 and last night, May 16, 2014, at 9:45pm I recorded 701CPM in Tujunga, Ca. I have a theory about why this happened and I'd like to get your input, and also to ask if there were other high CPM readings recorded out there in the Los Angeles area recently?
My thinking about the 701CPM reading I got last night:
I would imagine that over the years (1968 forward) the San Onofre NGS (SONGS) has vented quite a bit of radioactive materials that settled into the surounding hillsides. The sea breeze normally blows on shore so the vented materials would most likely be east of the plant.
East of the plant is Camp Pendleton, Marine Corps Base and there have been wild fires burning on the base for the last few days. I believe it is possible that the high readings I recorded are related to the Camp Pendleton fire by either materials vented from SONGS or from radioactive wastes that are either stored or have spilled on the ground at the Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base. Take care.....GRR

Sat May 17, 2014 1:37 pm

hello GRR,

That's quite a spike!
What are your normal readings? ...before the fires?
Do you have wind blowing in your direction up from SD?

I've never heard of SONGS being a particularly dirty burner, or large releases.
...Just the Toshiba thing with fuel rod holders??? and attempt to increase capacity?? that was too expensive... then public opinion led them to close it...

I am familiar with it's site, having driven by any number of times.
It sits on a strip of land between freeway and ocean. I can not imagine the fires affecting the plant itself???

IMO, concerns in Sunland/Tujunga could possibly have a relation to the SRE over at the top of the SFV, many years ago. They had as many as 10 reactors there, and three known events.
All were covered up, for many years. The public was unaware for a long time.

Still, I can't imagine why you would spike like that.
...Runaway Geiger tube?

I have very little understanding of all this... THIS morning I was unhappily surprised to see 7 radcon 4 sites showing on the NETC map. That can not be good!

Good luck
rc

Sun May 18, 2014 12:32 pm

Thanks for the response rustycase,

Your knowledge about SONGS is useful, thanks.

I have to say the wind did indeed blow the smoke from the San Diego fire into the L.A. basin on May 15th, 2014 between about 10:30 am until 3:30 pm, then the wind changed direction. It was bad enough that I heard on the local news radio station that it was suggested to remain indoors if you have respiratory problems or are a child. I was surprised about the wind coming from the south too that's why I turned on the radio. We do get monsoon conditions where the weather comes up from Mexico and it was very hot those days which fits the pattern. So I do believe the wind has and always has blown from the south during certain conditions. Also Tujunga is at an elevation of 1,800 feet above sea level. Which would allow higher elevation air currents better access into the Tujunga area.
As far as the reliability of the Geiger counter? I have not had any false readings with it that I'm aware of, so if that's the case it's a first. I check it every day and the normal count average over a week or two is 36 to 37 CPM, 42 to 44 CPM @ 10 mins.. So I was really shocked when I got the high reading. I have taken averages at several locations that I frequent. I've found Tujunga's CPM to be higher than some other locations I've monitored for extended periods. So I would accept your hunch about the Santa Susanna Mountain theory too, thanks. An earthquake fault runs through the Tujunga area and may have some affect too. I've found areas with higher readings due to the local mineralogy in my travels.

I have a new possibility, D.U., depleted uranium. What's the possibility that the Marines have used D.U. on base during target practice and the remaining munitions were incinerated during the multiple fires burning on the base and then became airborne?

GRR

GRR

Sun May 18, 2014 4:50 pm

hey wrote:
Newsreported said when the fire was getting close to nuclear power plant, "Do not worry, the nuclear power plant is shut down"

What is wrong with that statement???????

:shock:

Sun May 18, 2014 5:40 pm

GRR wrote:
Thanks for the response rustycase,

Your knowledge about SONGS is useful, thanks.

I have to say the wind did indeed blow the smoke from the San Diego fire into the L.A. basin on May 15th, 2014 between about 10:30 am until 3:30 pm, then the wind changed direction. It was bad enough that I heard on the local news radio station that it was suggested to remain indoors if you have respiratory problems or are a child. I was surprised about the wind coming from the south too that's why I turned on the radio. We do get monsoon conditions where the weather comes up from Mexico and it was very hot those days which fits the pattern. So I do believe the wind has and always has blown from the south during certain conditions. Also Tujunga is at an elevation of 1,800 feet above sea level. Which would allow higher elevation air currents better access into the Tujunga area.
As far as the reliability of the Geiger counter? I have not had any false readings with it that I'm aware of, so if that's the case it's a first. I check it every day and the normal count average over a week or two is 36 to 37 CPM, 42 to 44 CPM @ 10 mins.. So I was really shocked when I got the high reading. I have taken averages at several locations that I frequent. I've found Tujunga's CPM to be higher than some other locations I've monitored for extended periods. So I would accept your hunch about the Santa Susanna Mountain theory too, thanks. An earthquake fault runs through the Tujunga area and may have some affect too. I've found areas with higher readings due to the local mineralogy in my travels.

I have a new possibility, D.U., depleted uranium. What's the possibility that the Marines have used D.U. on base during target practice and the remaining munitions were incinerated during the multiple fires burning on the base and then became airborne?

GRR

You said there was a faultline nearby... could releases of Uranium happen during a small tremor? I found this map, and apparantly there is a pocket in SoCal, I don't know if it is close to you. I sure hope they aren't incinerating that, but nowadays, nothing surprises me. :(

Sun May 18, 2014 5:48 pm

@Ooops - Thanks for the map but do you have a link to a larger size of it so I can see what each of the colors mean?

Sun May 18, 2014 7:38 pm

I would doubt the Marines fired DU rounds at Pendleton. GRR.
Certainly possible, though.
Again, it would be quite a lot to generate that spike. You'd probably need to be in the trget zone of the munition to get that sort of reading!

Bye golly, I just don't know! IF there are indeed hot particles settling across the continent, fire would most certainly take some amount of that skyward.

Good luck! Hope you don't ever see a reading such as that again! Ever!
rc

Sun May 18, 2014 9:53 pm

KingCobra wrote:
@Ooops - Thanks for the map but do you have a link to a larger size of it so I can see what each of the colors mean?

Hey KC, it is about 3/4 of the way down.... here...
http://nuclearfreeva.blogspot.com/2010_08_01_archive.html

Just to let you know though, EVERY single radon map I have found has been different. This one is the EPA's map, but others from I think Virginia Tech when they were looking at reopening Virginia to Uranium mining showed heavy Uranium through their plains, which this EPA map did not show. It also shows Heavy radon throughout Maine, which other sources show are just in the west and southwest parts of the state.

rustycase wrote:
I would doubt the Marines fired DU rounds at Pendleton. GRR.
Certainly possible, though.
Again, it would be quite a lot to generate that spike. You'd probably need to be in the trget zone of the munition to get that sort of reading!

Bye golly, I just don't know! IF there are indeed hot particles settling across the continent, fire would most certainly take some amount of that skyward.

Good luck! Hope you don't ever see a reading such as that again! Ever!
rc

Right, plus, it was quick, right? So if they were being incinerated and they were going off one at a time, they might all reach the hot point around the same time, however, not at precisely the same moment. So that spike would probably be a little bit more drawn out... well, unless the incinerator was holding it until a vent or door was opened (but I have no idea how incinerators work).

Mon May 19, 2014 7:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next