View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Raspberry Pi COM Port Issues - Q/A 

Have the GQ GM300, it is wonderful. Testing it at Newport News VA. An issue keeping me offline off and on , the NETC app finds my modem port (COM3) and skips the real port COM8. How can I recycle the app without rebooting my system and fiddling? Otherwise, its perfect. Did get the site up on the net map. The problem with the usb vs COM port assignment is taking babysitting. Suggestions? I searched the forum but did not see this issue listed. Did get a large spike, matching other netc sites earlier this week, so its operating perfectly! Good device and software!

Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:21 am

Post Re:
JEC wrote:
Have the GQ GM300, it is wonderful. Testing it at Newport News VA. An issue keeping me offline off and on , the NETC app finds my modem port (COM3) and skips the real port COM8. How can I recycle the app without rebooting my system and fiddling? Otherwise, its perfect. Did get the site up on the net map. The problem with the usb vs COM port assignment is taking babysitting. Suggestions? I searched the forum but did not see this issue listed. Did get a large spike, matching other netc sites earlier this week, so its operating perfectly! Good device and software!

I have several stations, two of those use the NETC Windows software and one of those (Belvidere, Illinois) I believe I have the same problem you are talking about. This is the only computer that I have noticed a problem with it. Every time I start the NETC Windows software it detects the wrong port and fails, I then have to do a manual select of the correct port using the NETC Windows software drop down menu. The computer I am speaking of is also using a Verizon wifi connection through the usb, not a regular cable/dsl wifi or direct ethernet connection. I believe this is part of my problem, but once connected manually to the correct port the software runs perfect.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:31 am

It worked previously fine at home with local wifi, then I used Verizon..got only the modem port. HUM..I wonder if I drop the verizon app which i am not using.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:11 pm

JEC wrote:
It worked previously fine at home with local wifi, then I used Verizon..got only the modem port. HUM..I wonder if I drop the verizon app which i am not using.

I does seem like the Verizon app might be the problem with yours and mine. Although with mine, the Verizon internet is the only internet I have as an option at that location. :(

Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:48 pm
Server Admin

COM port allocation to usb serial devices is kinda picky. Just moving the device to a different USB port tends to cause it to be allocated a different COM port, and to make matters worse, it's a permanent allocation to the device even when it's no longer plugged into that port. Windows picks the lowest number available port... but luckily it never assigned com1 or com2 to a usb device automatically (those two port numbers are reserved to physical serial ports built into the motherboard---which you probably don't have)

I recommend picking one USB port where the geiger counter's going to be plugged in and sticking with that port always.

You will probably want to assign the geiger counter to com1 or com2:

You will need to close the winapp, but leave the usb plug plugged in.

Right clock on My Computer and choose "Manage". In the window that pops up choose Device Manager. (There are other ways of reaching the device manager--hopefully this one will work; if not you will need to go to Control Panel/System and choose Device Manager from there)

Expand the PORTS group; it should list all COM devices; The modem will probably be there if you have one, but the one we're interested in is the USB port: It's probably going to be named "USB Serial Port (COM8)" Double click that port.

Now, go to the Port Settings tab and choose Advanced.

There should be a pull down menu with the current COM port selected... pull it down and choose COM1 or COM2. (If you already have a com1 or com2, then you will first want to go into that port's properties just like the above and change that port to a higher number)

Now as long as you don't move the geiger counter to a different USB port, it should always be assigned that port, guaranteed to be below any usb modem added.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:44 pm
Profile WWW

How can I recycle the app without rebooting my system and fiddling? Otherwise, its perfect. Did get the site up on the net map. The problem with the usb vs COM port assignment is taking babysitting. Suggestions? I searched the forum but did not see this issue listed. Did get a large spike, matching other netc sites earlier this week, so its operating perfectly! Good device and software!???

Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:41 am

Had the same COM port issue and solved it:
I recently configured a spare computer to take over the job of hosting the site currently for Redding, CA. It is a HP thin client PC about 4 years old and has standard onboard resources; serial port COM1, printer parallel port LPT1 at 0x378 IRQ7 and 6 USB 2.0 ports. I installed first the latest version USB driver, plugged in the USB to Serial module and checked its assignment which showed it on COM3.
When the Wapp4netc.com was launched it attempts to use COM1 instead even though the onboard serial port exists at COM1, had to manually change it to COM3 for the app to work. The way I got the app to come up with COM3 selected was to go into the Windows System Device Manager and DISABLE COM1. Then when the app is auto or manually launched, it correctly uses COM3.
Hope this helps.

Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:32 pm

I prefer using the Raspberry Pi with custom NETC software on it. It works perfect 99.9% of the time.

My geiger counter on the station (is in South Beloit, IL) a GMC-200 in a thin ziplock bag on the face of a Holmes air purifier outside 24/7. I have had that running for over two years now.

Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]