View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 How to get status of a specific EPA monitor 

Is there any way to find out why the EPA has turned off a specific monitor? The Knoxville, TN (30 miles east of Oak Ridge, TN) monitor has been mostly off for the last several weeks. Because I live nearby, I wanted to know why it was off and if it will be turned back on. Is there a resource at the EPA (or anywhere else) that can provide that information?

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:12 am

I can only suggest that you call around through the EPA numbers you find online.

Please keep us updated with anything that you find out. It also might be a good idea to do some research on your nearby radioactive locations and see if any of them have had a problem recently that the EPA might have shutdown the monitors as a result.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:46 pm

The people at Radnet can and do respond to inquiries. You can use their contacts page to send a web mail message, or use the phone number there:
https://www.epa.gov/radnet/forms/contact-us-about-radnet

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:41 pm

Thank you for this resource. I have sent the following message via that online form -

"I am a resident of Oak Ridge, TN and track the data readings of the gamma monitor installed at Knoxville, TN, Station ID 5:410.
I noticed the monitor was off and not returning readings on the following days in 2018 - May 12-14, May 17-30, June 1-7, June 7-15.
Could the EPA give some insight as to why this monitor specifically was not operational? Was there an incident nearby? Was it a maintenance issue?
Does the EPA maintain a back-up monitor to provide readings if the main monitor becomes non-operational?
Any information available would be appreciated. Thank you, Kathleen Vinson"

Will post any replies.

Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:31 pm

Here is the response I received from the EPA -

"Thank you for contacting the EPA's Radiation Protection Division and for reporting the data gaps that you've seen on the Knoxville, TN RadNet monitor webpage.

We are aware that a component on the Knoxville RadNet air monitoring system is intermittently out of service. This is causing the data gaps you are seeing on our webpage.

The Radiation Protection Division"

Customarily vague language. Anyone have a idea what kind of component could be out of service? Does anyone have any information on how these monitors work?

Thanks.

Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]