View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Dual GM Counters in Close Proximity 

I am a new member of NETC here in north central Arkansas. I have not yet set up my monitor(s) for on-line reporting. My first GMC-320 unit would frequently "run away" and count over 300 CPM while operating here in my office. I did not wish to be the source of any new spurious alerts. As a physicist, I attribute this "run away" behavior to a "failure to quench" an ionization avalanche event--i.e., self actuating. I found that I could stop the self-actuating by cycling the GM counter OFF and back ON again. I obtained a second GM counter, a GMC-300E, from Harlan to use as a cross-check and have been operating it side-by-side with the GMC-320 on my desktop. Oddly enough, neither unit has ever "run away" with its counting while operated for a couple of months in this close-proximity fashion on my desktop. I have no ready explanation for this behavior, but it is definitely occurring. I wonder if others are seeing this effect--whatever its explanation. Perhaps this is somehow the solution to the "run away" counting problem.

Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:33 pm
Site Admin

There has been upgrades to your PI software and when you connect it back on NETC, we will update your software. It has fixed a lot of units spikes. Email staff@netc.com when connected again.
Harlan

Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]