View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Ham Radio protocol for Netc - when no internet available 
Server Admin

rdesrosi wrote:
I just picked up a small handled TVT TH-F5, which is similar to the Baofeng. Got it off Craigslist to use in case of an emergency for about $20.00. Not sure it is data packet comparable but i plan on getting my license something this summer, time permitting. As soon s I do I would be interesteind in setting thus up for my stations as well.

It should be possible to use that radio for packet, it uses the same handset pinout that the Baofeng uses so we may be able to make the audio adapter for you. The national APRS frequency is 144.39, which is what we'll be using, and that radio would work at that frequency.

So far, I have a one test unit functional in packet radio using the Baofeng uv-5r. I've used it to chat with someone clear across town (had to use a netrom repeater though), so that test was a success. I've also verified that I can send/receive raw APRS packets with no problem.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:49 pm
Profile WWW

hey
Please add my name to the {ham radio backup} list. my site is fully solar operated. I will begin brushing up for the radio license, and the radio cost is minimal.
Station ID 1:EBCFBD32 New Castle, PA, US

Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:22 pm

Sign me up
General class
KF7OLE
HF all bands, 2 Mtr, 6 Mtr, 70 Cm
70' tower with tri-band beam, 2 meter beam, all band diapole, all band vertical
Digital on HF, but not the others as yet

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:15 pm
Site Admin

we are getting really close. My prototype unit is working, it is sending data as telemetry data and makes a chart on the bottom of page when using aprs.fi. after clicking on show telemetry.
the china cheap radio, I am using is Baofeng Uv5ra, cost on amazon varies from $28 to $36 for the radio.
The PI has new software the Jeff is writing and the test verision is working, need more programming
The control board, TNC-x, controls the radio transmission to APRS freq. of 144.390
The TNC-Pi board fits on the PI and costs $65 from TNC-x.com, completely assembled
I took a mic apart for the connector to the radio and use it to plug into the TNC-x board.

That is where we are now and I have high hopes that we will finish the mobile ham radiation unit in the near future.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:17 pm

The drawback on any TNC is getting the cabling for your specific radio, and a nice free program for the receiving part. Transmitting is not a problem, but you need to have HF equipment to transmit any distance. Local broadcasting can be done with the Baofeng, but avoid the repeaters as you will soon be getting bugged about taking bandwidth. After using "HDR" for a number of years for free, I am now forced to find another free program. HDR is a great program, but rather overpriced to strictly use it for packet transmission. If anyone knows of a good program, please post it so we can try it.
As far as expense getting into Ham equipment, it can be as cheap as $39 on ebay, to thousands, depending on what you want to do. Shoot for getting your General license, and that give you great access to the HF bands. From the Northwest, I talk to the entire country, as well as South America, Japan and Eastern Russia. Yes, most hams speak English.
I have not tried tying my RD into my radio system yet, but when I do I will post the results. 73's to all the new hams out there.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:38 pm
Site Admin

I agree with your points and have tried to resolve each issue.
1. For the cable between the radio and the TNC-x, we use an old mic/speaker and cut the mic off and use the wire to connect to a 9 pin connector.
2. Yes we only use 2 meter and relay it on Igate software to pass the radiation information to Netc.com
3. Our purpose is sending radiation data from mobile radiation units and only a tech license is needed.
4. We are trying to keep the cost under $200 + Geiger Counter Unit.
5. We are using the Netc.com PI software to handle the software problem, we have two prototype units working.

Ham radios will offer a different alternative to Internet only and we will be able to track were the radiation is coming from. 73s to you too

Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:26 pm

Harlan and others-

I am excited about this new development and yet fearful that you might abandon the current form of displaying information on the internet. I dearly hope and pray that you maintain the current site as well. For those of us who are not as technically talented as you, we may not be up and running as ham radio operators and therefor left behind informationally. At this critical time, I think that the more people offered information the better.

I'm looking forward to seeing your new endeavor get off the ground, but again, please don't leave the rest of us in the dust. It has become too important to us.

Thanks!

Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:01 pm

Thanks for the clarification "hey". I have requested the software from Pete at javAPRSSrvr, and will look at purchasing the TNC-x. I hate cutting up a mic cord on my Yaesu rig, so I'll look for some pre-made ones and let you know. The Baofeng mics are cheap enough so not a problem there. I'll be back later with more questions.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:09 pm
Site Admin

We are starting to collect data with our MRU (mobile radiation unit). Here is the chart for the last couple of days. The prototype unit is in my truck. I have to change the small battery every two days because of the current that the radio, GPS, WIFI, TNC, and PI uses. I need a bigger battery!

Attachments:
mru radiation chart 1.jpg
mru radiation chart 1.jpg [ 37.43 KiB | Viewed 125332 times ]
Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:53 pm

Ebay sells a battery eliminator for $8.99 for the Baofeng. (free shipping) I run one in my truck, and have had no problems. I also run a small inverter of 450 watts that plugs into the cigarette lighter and gives you 120v. (2 plug ins) That should take care of all your battery power problems.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next