View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Ham Radio protocol for Netc - when no internet available 

@mttrails,
Greetings Carl, my opinion is this; If they cared about us-they would have told our grand-parents to keep our parents in the basement Each time there was an above ground test (1950-1960's).
If they cared- they would have told us to stay in the basement with our kids four years ago (3/2011)

Please, consider posting or E-mailing me. I am strongly considering making a mirror image of your final design here in Pennsylvania. making a mirror site we can compare readings with some degree of accuracy. I am 10 miles downwind of a Nuke plant.
Thanks, Novell

Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:29 pm

Sorry to grab such a old post but couldn't find anything on this elsewhere on this board...

...please let me know if there is a thread going on this one...

First MRU showing crazy reads!!!?

1:EBB9C7EB

CPM: current 616 High 832 Low 391 Average 640

With spikes as high as 2300+

What's going on?

hey wrote:
Danger ! Danger !
One of the prototypes MRU ( Mobile Radiation Unit ) worked. While driving about Hot Springs Arkansas, on Manday 8/11/2014, around 3:00 PM, the MRU radiation jumped from the 20s to 68 at the Post Office of the United States. It stayed high for 3 minutes before the car continue on its journey to Krogers. This is the first time that one of the three prototype MRU pick up a high reading that would trigger an Alert condition and it was at the Post Office. ??????

View my other posts here:
https://www.netc.com/bb/search.php?keyw ... mit=Search

netc.com (donate will ya?)...

Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:16 am

@ Novell

Greetings from Montana-

I have been very busy plowing snow recently and have not had time to work on project very much. Here are the specs I am trying to match.

I am using two bearingless 12 volt cage fans to draw 60 cfm over a 3 inch filter. I have the airflow part designed and am in process of building. Essentialy it will draw the air through a three inch filter. A 3 inch Nal(Ti) scintillation detector will be placed 1 cm below the filter. Since the air flowing over the detector will be filtered, it should minimize detector case contamination. I am building the airflow parts out of my obtanium supply and test fitting parts at home depot plumbing and irrigation sections.

The detector and filter will be placed within a 1 inch thick lead "castle". This should reduce background cpm at filter site. another matched scintillation detector will be placed at least 1 meter away to measure background. This control detector will be powered using a cannabilized Ludlum 3 to send CPM info. The PMT will be chilled to prox -26 f to maintain constant temp using dielectric chillers. Thinking about using arduino to run operations within mini-radnet system, but have to learn the coding first. I know just enough code to be confused.

The filter detector will run by a gamma spectrometer unit and piped into Theremino software for analysis.

Have ordered the 3 inch PMTs and am trying to locate an affordable sodium crystal to attach to it. If price is out of line, may need to reduce detectors to two inch. We'll see.

Once this framework it assembled in next couple months, should be able to get some tech help to get online to NETC and the Radio project.

The ultimate goal is to get this first unit totally solar.

As always, ideas and thoughts on building a mini-RadNet detector are welcome. Probably should start new thread dedicated to this project.

Carl

Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:12 pm

Great rig man!!!

Let me know when you get results online so we can see the reads...

And should definitely start a new thread on this project!

...dielectric chillers ?

...lead "castle"?

...a 3 inch filter?

...are you "ashing" the filters for further testing?

...what type of batteries are you planning to use for the solar system?

You clearly have a plan...

Mini-radnet stuff:
Can't help much there except for the basic specs. (you probably already know...).
http://www.aadee.com/00pdf/nuclear/RMS-3.pdf

Theremino has good schematics and other information as well for your build...

http://www.theremino.com/en/downloads/radioactivity/

...free and open source.

Great to know people like you are out there trying to do something about all this!

I live in Carolina and the German decommissioning situation sends all their spent waste to my backyard...

...a little too close for comfort.

Sad, but what can you do in a age of insane people? Better to have it safe than floating around for our kids (and grand kids [and their grand kids] ) to ingest or be "blown up" by ;-).

You REALLY should watch this Senate Subcommittee NRC hearing...
...good info on the dangers we are all currently facing.

http://www.epw.senate.gov/public/index. ... 43fbc55022

We are trying to locate heavy metals by their radioactivity. The chemical properties are as dangerous as the radiation itself (and some argue more dangerous)!!!

...ALL heavy metals make ya stupid too :-) !

The average person can't even "pay attention" anymore...

Here's a few examples...

Heavy metals in everyday life! Great stuff here!
http://labs.naturalnews.com/Video-Wheat ... gnets.html

Watch as adult drivers can't seem to pay attention on the roads they drive everyday! Scary stuff...
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/21134540#56755308

...sad but true.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Good luck and contact me anytime...

mttrails wrote:
@ Novell

Greetings from Montana-

I have been very busy plowing snow recently and have not had time to work on project very much. Here are the specs I am trying to match.

I am using two bearingless 12 volt cage fans to draw 60 cfm over a 3 inch filter. I have the airflow part designed and am in process of building. Essentialy it will draw the air through a three inch filter. A 3 inch Nal(Ti) scintillation detector will be placed 1 cm below the filter. Since the air flowing over the detector will be filtered, it should minimize detector case contamination. I am building the airflow parts out of my obtanium supply and test fitting parts at home depot plumbing and irrigation sections.

The detector and filter will be placed within a 1 inch thick lead "castle". This should reduce background cpm at filter site. another matched scintillation detector will be placed at least 1 meter away to measure background. This control detector will be powered using a cannabilized Ludlum 3 to send CPM info. The PMT will be chilled to prox -26 f to maintain constant temp using dielectric chillers. Thinking about using arduino to run operations within mini-radnet system, but have to learn the coding first. I know just enough code to be confused.

The filter detector will run by a gamma spectrometer unit and piped into Theremino software for analysis.

Have ordered the 3 inch PMTs and am trying to locate an affordable sodium crystal to attach to it. If price is out of line, may need to reduce detectors to two inch. We'll see.

Once this framework it assembled in next couple months, should be able to get some tech help to get online to NETC and the Radio project.

The ultimate goal is to get this first unit totally solar.

As always, ideas and thoughts on building a mini-RadNet detector are welcome. Probably should start new thread dedicated to this project.

Carl

View my other posts here:
https://www.netc.com/bb/search.php?keyw ... mit=Search

netc.com (donate will ya?)...

Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:39 am

I just happen to cross this thread and read it all. This is really interesting. I have my license (tech), have for many years and mostly on 2 meters. I have 2 of these small radios as well. A Wouxun and a FDC, the wouxon I use for 2 meter talk and being a dual band, listening to my local PD and FD, transmit locked out of course, receive only, and the FDC is just 1 band, 2 meters. I haven't used it that much and was thinking of selling it but after reading this thread, glad I didn't. It would be perfect for this project. Back in the charger it went. And, I have been doing a lot of reading on this Pi stuff and been interested in it, but haven't looked into it too much and getting the bug now on it. Its being used for a lot of projects. Looks like its time to give it a try. I am on here already with my station in Massachusetts and very interested in this project as well. I'll reread thru all of this thread to see where we are on the developments of this project. Thank you Frank N1KMW :)

Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:55 am
Site Admin

We are still working on this project. We found a problem with the GMC-320, when they loose power. I send the units back to GQ Electronice to fix the power problem. I will keep everyone informed.
Harlan

Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:19 am

Oh, so your attempting to use the GMC-320's? hum, ok, heard quite a few issues with them and others up in that model range. I have a 280 and other than one time running away on me for some unknown reason, its been a great counter. I stuck with using the 200 of which I have 2 of them and a 080. One of the 200's in the one outside that's been out there for over a year now feeding two sites, here and radmon of which I belong too and help out a lot. I wanted to get one of them 300 and up units, but seemed there were lots of issues when they fix came out.. Thanks, keep me posted. Frank

Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:57 pm
Site Admin

The car 12 volts can power the gmc-320 and the ham radio too. The units will be in the car collecting radiation data and GPS data as it travels. The problem is when the car is turned off, the GMC-320 battery runs down and looses it baud rate to the PI. This problem is being fixed by GQ Electronic. When we get the gmc-320 back from the factory, we will finish our test of the MRU using the ham radios.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:38 pm

Hearing about your continued advancements in methods of detection using NETC are interesting. Thank you again for creating NETC.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:01 pm

About Power; "The car 12 volts can power the gmc-320 and the ham radio too."

I have a work-around to keep my rig powered during 'ignition off' time. Perhaps this would be easier than special ordering a custom gmc-320.

I have a battery from an alarm panel, charging through one isolation diode, from the 'cigarette lighter' power port. This 7-amp/hour battery keeps all my gear "hot" for hours.

This battery and diode also do a good job to isolate the electrical noise/spikes of the motor starting, and keep them out of my gear! For safety sake, put a FUSE on the battery terminal, and after the diode!

My best to ALL!

Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next