View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Japan measurements error: nSv/h 

I have a question about the measurements from Japan.

I see the measurement is in nSv/h (nano Sievert per hour). Most stations (not near daiichi) read in the double digits 20-90 nSv/h. I tried to convert these readings to mR/h and find the JA 'background' readings appear to be 1/10 what they should be? I believe it is an error in conversion and the nSv/h readings should be in the hundreds 200-900. I have a GMC-300E and when I set the reading to uSv/h (micro Sievert per hour) I get ~.20 uSv/h. If that is converted to nSv/h, it should be ~200 nSv/h, correct? or am I missing something?

Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:15 pm
Server Admin

The readings are given to us in nSv/h, we do not do any conversion of those figures. The equipment they use is different--and I'm not sure what they do use. Your math is correct for the conversion, I cannot explain the discrepency, except that the ones they use in Japan may be reporting wrong. Most of those units are mounted inside buildings, so they may report low values because of what the buildings block.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:39 pm
Profile WWW

Thank you for confirming. Is it possible to tell me the source for the JA data sets?

I personally also monitor the graphs at:
http://ma-04x.net/all_l.html
The charts on the site above show readings in uSv/h but don't seem to correlate with the readings shown on NETC. However, they also seem on the low side. Apparently the data comes from NRA (Japans Nuclear Regulation Authority) but I cant figure out how to get real time data from that source. Many measurement sites within 5 miles of Dai ichi are below my current background average... yeah right. Seems like someone is messing with the official data. It would seem like a good idea to try to get independent monitoring stations in Japan on the NETC map also (or am I not finding them on the map?).

Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]