View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Appear on map 

I was in the process of installing another device and totally messed up my comm ports. I was on comm 10 for the longest time, but lost it on a reboot. Now on comm port 16, redid my location, but have not seen my marker show up again. I forget, does it take time to re-appear on the map. Question for PC guru's, I only have 2 devices on my PC, yet most of the comm ports state "in use" up to comm port 16, but there is nothing else on the pc requiring usb ports. How do I free up all these ports that are in use, but are not? any help would be appreciated. Now I have to start all over with new data. Is there no way to return to where I was with the data I have been submitting for a year or so? Thanks Frank (Massachusetts)

Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:16 pm

Sorry I can't help, but these are the main reasons why I use the Raspberry Pi with NETC custom software.

Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:46 pm

I will try to shed some light on this; through some weird coincidence our station ID's were the same except for the numbers following the period, the com port number. My station ID had changed to 1:54503030.3 on Dec. 2, 2014 when I switched to a different PC. On Jan. 9 2015 I found my station inactive and when checking the wapp4netc application I found "Welcome Skybug" at the top of the page in the Register Location with ID 1:54503030.16 showing up instead of mine. I posted a topic in Only NETC Private Radiation Monitoring Stations forum and sent an email to admin@netc.com. On Jan 11 I got a message from Jeffrey that he had cleared my registration data and then I find that all my historical chart data is gone. In that Jeffrey's response was the only one besides another user that shared a similar experience with account cross-linking who suggested emailing admin, after 3 days I purged my account data, installed driver and wapp4netc on an old laptop missing a LCD panel which is what it will be dedicated for and started the Redding, CA monitoring station from ground zero today. If I find out how to take the data logs from the local hard drive and build the NETC chart history from them I will let you know.

Your question about com ports: There are only four real com ports, located at 0x3F8 IRQ4, 0x2F8 IRQ3, 0x3E8 IRQ4 and 0x2E8 IRQ3. After com4 they are virtual ports used mainly by the operating system. Your USB to serial adapter assigns the next available com port no. as a virtual port.

Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:33 pm

Now that is really strange. The same happened here too, after the comm ports got screwed up and finally got it back online, same usb port, but got assigned a different comm port number, when I went to registry it again and put the info it, mine said I was someone else and location was somewhere in the western USA. I was like, WTH is going on? cleared out all the data and retyped it all in again and got the correct info in. I was stunned reading what you wrote, thinking, geez, that's probably the one I got here when I went to re-register my station again. Oh ya, I know that from the beginning when I started on here, Do NOT remove your connection from the PC and plug it into another port, automatically drops you and have to start all over. I hate that part, lost all my years worth of data and unreliable again. I realize the reasons why and ya I know, its free, keep getting told this and ya, I know. But there has to be a better way. Maybe more station info stored on the NETC end. Like some of my other stations work, and have multiple sensors running sometimes. On the virtual ports as you wrote, is there a way to clear them since nothing is on them? My station was on comm port 10 until the screw up, then got reassigned to 16 now, and 10 is still in use! going to research this one more. So let me know what you think about what I wrote about our station mix ups.

Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:14 pm

Yes this anomaly is sure strange. I do have an idea on how to revert back to your former COM port assignment. I am assuming you are using the little USB to Serial adapter that is included with the GQ Geiger Counters also separately as a GQ Tool-081.

First: make sure you have the USB-Serial unit in the same USB port it was before when it was COM 10.

If you do drive imaging I.E. Acronis True Image, simply restore to a date before "it" happened.
Otherwise, if running Windows, do a "System Restore" available in SYSTEM TOOLS to a date before "it" happened.

Doing a System Restore doesn't change programs or user data but does change the current registry code to a copy from a previous version so hardware configurations will be put back to where they were when the checkpoint was made. Bear in mind that there is always the possibility of a registry to program mismatch where you may have to reinstall a program or two, which is why drive imaging backups are a far better alternative for disaster recovery.

Have a day worthy of yourself...

Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:39 am

Hey Ron, I wrote that info down and will attempt it if it happens again. Right now, I want to leave it so I can keep the previous data building up. And everything appears to be running ok so I don't want to miss anything up. Thanks

Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:47 pm

Have you emailed staff@netc.com about the problem?

Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:16 pm

Not yet, I didn't know if it was worth it since it took a couple of days for them to get back to the other station that had the same issue and all that was done as clearing it out and starting all over again. Didn't appear that an answer was giving other than just restarting again and clearing out info. There were a lot of views of the statements we did, but no one else chimed in so I am guessing it was a fluke of some sorts with no explanation. Think I should email them anyways?

Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:07 pm

If you fear the data being lost/reset, maybe your right.

Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:31 pm

That is true, it was nice having a good, solid, reliable station online and one stupid mishap and its all lost and have to start over. Not happy about that part. Of the few sites I belong too, thou I enjoy this one a lot and will continue to do so, is the hardest, well almost, for ever attempting to move or change anything without a loss of something. But really do enjoy the way it is overall and what we get from it. 8-)

Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next