View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Build a Radiation Monitoring Site - For Less Than $200 
Site Admin

Special Deal - Complete Radiation Monitoring Site - for $199.00
Limited Time Only

Raspberry Pi Model B, case and power supply.
GMC-200 Geiger counter.
Wireless adapter to connect remotely
8 gbyte SD chip with PI4NETC software that connects to NETC.com

Free Shipping in the US.

These unit will be deployed on NETC.com server so you will be able to see your charts.

A standard/ethernet cable will be needed to connect the Raspberry Pi to your router during installation of the wireless connection.

http://www.netc.com/Radiation%20Equipme ... tible.html

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:30 am
Site Admin

The Raspberry PI-Geiger counter is in a greenhouse where the temperature has reach 109 degrees and the unit keeps on ticking!

This Raspberry PI-Geiger counter is located on a porch where the yellow green pollen was detected at 500 CPMImage

Mon May 13, 2013 10:32 am

I have had mine for a week now and it is working great! Good price and easy to setup as well.

Right now it is running in side my house sitting on a windowsill but I plan to eventually make the entire setup solar powered and place it on my front porch to get more accurate readings.

I highly recommend getting this setup. This is my second GQ Electronics Geiger counter and both work as advertised.

Station ID 1:EB072480 Waterford, MI, US
CPM: current 18 Low 1 High 34
Average 16, Deviation 4
Average over last 10 minutes: 17

Mon May 13, 2013 9:04 pm
Site Admin

I glad that your site will be able to check the radiation from:
Quote:
Palisades nuclear power plant shut down due to leaks
I am sorry for you because of your location but we need locations like your near nuclear power plants. I live in Arkansas, oil spills, Arkansas Nuclear One. PS. Outside is Better

Tue May 14, 2013 9:16 am

rdesrosi wrote:
Right now it is running in side my house sitting on a windowsill but I plan to eventually make the entire setup solar powered and place it on my front porch to get more accurate readings. Station ID 1:EB072480 Waterford, MI, US

I wondered if this unit was inside, thanks for the update. For the benefit of others, it does help to note the location (inside house) in your station details. It is NOT required, but obviously you understand how that information helps others better understand your data. For example, beta radiation from outside will not make it through your house walls/roof and therefore will not be detected by the geiger counter while inside your house.

I assume you already know that, but i will put a link here for others that will read this post and not know. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSiNXBLfzK4

You mentioned making it a full solar unit. I assume your not interested in installing it on the face of an air purifier filter. Currently that is how I have my outside unit Station ID: 1:EB5A139C Beloit, WI. I receive great data by having it connected this way and I am seeing a rise right now.

I see you are not too far away from the Fermi Nuclear Plant. Within the last week or so I seen they restarted the Fermi 2 reactor.

Tue May 14, 2013 9:59 am

Good point King, i have updated my site description to state the GMC-200 is inside on a window sill. So yeah, no beta getting through. This is why I want to eventually fit it out with a solar setup so it can run 24x7 outside on my front porch.

What setup are you using with your air purifier? Can you post some pics?

-Randy

Tue May 14, 2013 8:51 pm

rdesrosi wrote:
What setup are you using with your air purifier? Can you post some pics?

Here is a picture of my basement unit. I cut out the air purifier cover so the geiger counter could fit flush against the filter but of course where it is covering, it will not suck any air. This model purifier (Holmes AER1 Desktop Air Purifier from WalMart) has the motor built in the middle so it sucks air on the far right & left side of the filter. The geiger counter is upside down and all the way to the top of the filter because I wanted the tube inside the geiger counter (located at the top of the geiger counter) to be near the filter where the air will suck through (at the bottom of the filter) and build-up the radiation.

Attachments:
Basement Geiger Counter GMC-200 on Air Purifier 05-14-2013.jpg
Basement Geiger Counter GMC-200 on Air Purifier 05-14-2013.jpg [ 1.42 MiB | Viewed 66715 times ]

Tue May 14, 2013 11:45 pm

I have a GMC-300 set up on a PC at the moment, but the Raspberry Pi approach seems far better because of not needing the PC to be on all the time.
Can a copy of the "8 gbyte SD chip with PI4NETC software that connects to NETC.com" be downloaded from somewhere so I can do this ?

Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:42 am
Site Admin

Netc.com gives the wapp4netc.exe file free to run on the windows system.
The software for the Raspberry PI and Netc.com is a package deal. It requires us to
program the PI and test it out and program Netc.com to accept the data. If you go
through the work and buy a Raspberry PI and copy the chip, Netc.com will not know
about the data and just ignore it. That is why we test each unit first before shipping it.
We are trying to standardize the units that Netc.com will accepts.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:29 pm

I would just go with the pre-loaded package Pi and GMC-200 from NETC. I ordered mine on a Friday and got it the following Tuesday. it works great, is super simple to setup and get running, and is a good value for what you get.

Station ID: 1:EB072480
Waterford, MI.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next