View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Build a Radiation Monitoring Site - For Less Than $200 

Landru wrote:
newbie here -

I just wanna understand what I'd be buying if I decided to participate in this.

the current netc offering is for a radiation monitoring station designed to be used indoors - based on images I've seen in this thread and the old posts.

the monitor is on a tether to a mini computer which connects to the intertubes allowing participation in the netc network.

the monitor does not differentiate between different types of radiation - it counts every event - if you want to determine sources and types a sample and a third party testing facility would be required -

I have a few other questions but I'd like to be sure that I'm on the right track with these few basic points before moving on.

Thanx
Lanny

Yes you are on the right track, but while I believe using the Raspberry Pi mini computer with software is the best option there are others. Another option is to download the free Windows NETC software and connect your geiger counter to that. You get access to your stations chart data for free but if you want access to view all the other members & EPA sites charts, you would need to have a chart member subscription.

My South Beloit Illinois monitoring station uses the Raspberry Pi connected in my basement with wires going outside to my GMC-200 geiger counter which I have in a ziplock bag and on the face of an air purifier for better detection. My unit has been outside for over a year now. Having your unit outside is best and on an air purifier is even better. Inside units are better than nothing, but during beta radiation fallout (elevated levels of radiation - often during rain storms) inside units will not detect this rise. Only a rise in outside gamma levels will be detected while the unit is inside the house.

Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:06 pm

KingCobra wrote:
$2
Landru wrote:
newbie here -

I just wanna understand what I'd be buying if I decided to participate in this.

the current netc offering is for a radiation monitoring station designed to be used indoors - based on images I've seen in this thread and the old posts.

the monitor is on a tether to a mini computer which connects to the intertubes allowing participation in the netc network.

the monitor does not differentiate between different types of radiation - it counts every event - if you want to determine sources and types a sample and a third party testing facility would be required -

I have a few other questions but I'd like to be sure that I'm on the right track with these few basic points before moving on.

Thanx
Lanny

Yes you are on the right track, but while I believe using the Raspberry Pi mini computer with software is the best option there are others. Another option is to download the free Windows NETC software and connect your geiger counter to that. You get access to your stations chart data for free but if you want access to view all the other members & EPA sites charts, you would need to have a chart member subscription.

My South Beloit Illinois monitoring station uses the Raspberry Pi connected in my basement with wires going outside to my GMC-200 geiger counter which I have in a ziplock bag and on the face of an air purifier for better detection. My unit has been outside for over a year now. Having your unit outside is best and on an air purifier is even better. Inside units are better than nothing, but during beta radiation fallout (elevated levels of radiation - often during rain storms) inside units will not detect this rise. Only a rise in outside gamma levels will be detected while the unit is inside the house.

I wanted to buy the $259 package offered on netc.com - all-in-one deal, great price and participate in providing data for the netc network. I like the idea that the netc guys make these meters - I've seen Harlan participating at enews and I think this is legit , I wanna play. I'm just not comfortable with coughing up my info over the tubes.

I think I understand setting this up but I'm not 100% 'cause id really like to have it outside and am foggy on how the mechanics of it would work for my situation. I want it outdoors. I do not have an air purifier.

Does the raspberry have a wifi adapter? is the raspberry weather proof? could i put the raspberry in a ziplock too? can the berry and the rad meter withstand sub-zero temps?

thanx
Lanny

Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:27 pm

@Landru - None of the equipment is water proof, this is a risk you take if you put it outside. This is why my Raspberry Pi is inside my house with only the wires to the GMC-200 geiger counter going outside. My GMC-200 has worked fine at below zero. You can read about it here where I previously posted about it:

https://www.netc.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=203&start=40

Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:35 pm

KingCobra wrote:
@Landru - None of the equipment is water proof, this is a risk you take if you put it outside. This is why my Raspberry Pi is inside my house with only the wires to the GMC-200 geiger counter going outside. My GMC-200 has worked fine at below zero. You can read about it here where I previously posted about it:

https://www.netc.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=203&start=40

yup - no question - i'll have to work out my own out door arrangements -

but does the berry have its own wi-fi adapter?

Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:11 am
Site Admin

yes,wifi is included. Need password on router to make it connect.

Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4