View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Disappearing Home Site on Map 

Hello

I see that my site on the map disappeared, it was there when I began (registered software & set location).

What do you think happened?

Using GQ counter.

Jones9999

Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:12 am
Site Admin

Where are you located, your site?

Here are things to checkout:
Is your computer going to sleep - set it to never.
Do not turn off the computer.
I assume your are running wapp4netc, make for sure it is active with the icon at the bottom.
Feel free to email at staff@netc.com

Harlan

Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:31 pm

I reset the location to simply my zip code (97220 Parkrose) Portland, OR. and it returned to the map.

Thank you for the response.

Jones9999

Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:45 pm
Site Admin

Your site disappears if the geiger counter quits sending data. Did your computer go to sleep? It stop transmitting at 9:01 central time.

Are you running wapp4netc.exe and leaving it running??

Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:20 pm

No, I leave it running all the time. I have set the affinity higher than normal to make sure it has priority. it shows the last up date as 03/17 6:16 pm and now shows on the map

I have set my system that has the counter on it to a static IP so it doesn't screw up with shifting ip's on my network.

it seems to work if I quit it and restart the software,then will will begin sending data again.

I have looked to make sure it doesn't sleep, or hibernate and it is connected to an always on connection.

strange and stranger.

will keep attempting to discover the problem.

J

Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:20 pm

Welcome to NETC

Which GQ geiger counter are you using, the 200 or 300?

Does your monitor/screen go black or is it set to just dim down?

Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:07 pm
Site Admin

We are interested in your problem, so email: harlan@netc.com with your phone number and we will figure out this problem.

Harlan

Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:36 pm

Well, I may have found the error.

it seems that when I am online with another computer on my network the software won't update.

background:

the computer that the wapp4netc is on (older win xp laptop 1.2 Pentium with 1.2 Gb memory) runs my video security software and Quake Catcher Network sensor. it also has a GQ-200 connected with the USB converter from GQ Geiger Counter company. All these item are pretty low bandwidth items, the wapp4netc and QCN are the only ones that connect to the network (aka internet) the QCN only updates about twice a day, the Wapp4netc seem to update every ten minutes(?) I think.

so when I am using another computer on the network it appears that the Wapp4netc either gets confused or cannot upload the data on the counter readings.

To regain connectivity I have to stop the wapp4netc and restart ,which it reads and uploads the data. (can in the next update of wapp4netc have a bar graph?)

There is where it is at now. as I said I have increased the affinity to the software to "above normal"

Let me know what you think?

by the way I may not be able to take a call to troubleshoot as my job precludes that.

Jones9999

Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:55 pm
Site Admin

We think we isolated the issue to a cacheing problem specific to Internet Explorer 7.0. We've added a work-around/fix to the server to address the issue.

try it again

Harlan

Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:12 pm

Hello again

Made some changes to my network which leads me to suspect a cause.

Placed my other computer on the wired section of the network, disabling the wireless adapter,(reporting computer that has the wapp4netc software is a wireless connection) doesn't seem to have a problem with the updates now.

I suspect that there is a "time out" reporting issue i.e. if the software is attempting to update yet the network has some other higher priority the software doesn't have the time (aka "time out" issue) to report and goes into standby mode. increasing the "time out" before it says there is a reporting failure may cure this. I do realize this may increase the load on your servers over the space of many thousands of reporting computers in the world.

just a suggestion.

Thanks for troubleshooting this small issue.

J

Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next