View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Are you guys up? 

I am not seeing any data on the map for 7-14-2016.
Thanks!

Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:04 am

Still missing data.

Is anyone seeing data on the animated map (aside from Chicago on the morning of the 16th?)

Is this site still working?

Has anyone seen this RAD alert while NETC was missing data?: (or are we not concerned about over 2000 CPM?): http://www.veteranstoday.com/2016/07/14 ... hoenix-az/

Is NETC a sell out? OR have you been hacked? I see folks reading my previous post, but no one is chiming in. Is ANYONE out there seeing NETC CPM animated data?

Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:44 pm

Looking at the article you link to above, I find this quote.

Quote:
...combined Beta and Gamma radiation count was 2,186 Counts a Minute CPM and steadily increasing

I have never before seen something so stupid as combined beta and gamma readings. Clearly that site wouldn't be my choice for reliable information.

Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:47 pm

The EPA shutdown much of their RadNet monitoring stations back in 2011 when the first Fukushima plume past over the United States.

Recently I understand the EPA has shutdown their beta monitoring stations, possibly soon their gamma stations too.

If you do not already have a station of your own setup (I've explained how for years now for less than $100) your only choice is relying on independent private stations like mine.

Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:08 pm

Yes, I have been following the high CPM listed on that site, and am concerned that there is no information listed else where. It seems the general public is asleep or is disinterested. If those numbers are correct people will start to get sick after a few months at those levels. I wonder if a new virus will make its way into the general population.

Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:22 pm

I wonder if the VT author was referring to this:
Gamma gross count for energy range 3 is around 2000, and has been that way as far back as March, at least. It seems the author, though probably well meaning, jumped to conclusions too quickly. I wonder if this EPA station returning to service around July 14 after being offline for over 2 weeks may have caused the misunderstanding. The author also refers to this level of CPM being "devastating", but does not seem to be aware of the difference between a GM tube and a scintillation detector. He made the same error in 2015, (and graciously thanked me for pointing it out), but seems to have done it again. It could also be the NETC change on the public map, showing Gamma now instead of Beta, and not seeing the reason behind the change.

Like KC says, that would not be my choice for reliable information.

Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:42 pm

I fail to see the distinction. Whether it be a GM or sinctation counter if the ionizing particle be of sufficient energy to do harm then it must be of concern. Further, safety is the concern, a combined count would still be a valid indicator of a hazard. What is of concern is the number of particles of sufficient energy to do damage striking the target, and the length of time that the assault continues. If my reasoning is faulty please explain.

Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:37 pm

Bert490 wrote:
...The author also refers to this level of CPM being "devastating", but does not seem to be aware of the difference between a GM tube and a scintillation detector.

Exactly, the readings from a GM (geiger-muller) tube vs. scintillation counter/detector are different for many reasons. I knew when I read that the author had added the beta and gamma readings together that the article (data) was a mess from the start.

Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:39 pm

Wreckraider wrote:
I fail to see the distinction. Whether it be a GM or sinctation counter if the ionizing particle be of sufficient energy to do harm then it must be of concern. Further, safety is the concern, a combined count would still be a valid indicator of a hazard. What is of concern is the number of particles of sufficient energy to do damage striking the target, and the length of time that the assault continues. If my reasoning is faulty please explain.

Even two GM tubes can give you a different CPM from the same radiation source, because some like the InspectorEXP or Mazur 9000 have a better GM tube than say the GMC-200. It has to do with the sensitivity of the instrument being used. A scintillation counter/detector is much more sensitive and therefore will give much higher readings. My biggest issue with the authors article was adding both counts together, but you can't even compare them to each other. You must compare for example apples with apples.

Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:46 pm

Correction scintillation. I understand the issue with sensitivity, however when dealing from a safety perspective the higher number of strikes would be of concern . Each particle has the potential for damage, and therefore the combined gamma/beta is a good indicator of a potential hazard. If you disagree please comment.

Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next