View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 "Unreliable" Stations - Q/A 

It would be tough to come up with a pat formula for so designating monitoring stations (short of having side-by-side stations for comparisons). Perhaps the best approach would be for Harlan to "call 'em as he sees 'em".

Whatever the method used, it concerns me that unreliable stations are displayed on the public map.

* Are the alerts for those stations also publicly displayed?

I appreciate that, without the "unreliables", some places (like Puerto Rico and the State of Montana) would show no stations, but that seems preferable to false alarms.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:32 pm
Site Admin

Craig, I see you point, the name "unreliable" is the problem. Netc.com called the group of stations that do not have enough data in the last week and in the last month as "unreliable". If a nuclear event happens, I would like to see the station go to RADCON-4, and I believe all the rest of the customers would like the information too; however, since it's listed as "unreliable" it will NOT go to RADCON-5, nor will it trigger the alert emails.

The Alert Page said,
Quote:
U Unreliable Site - Unreliable site, not enough data points, and alert condition not met

Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:08 pm

Thanks --that quite clears this issue up for me. Good to see that "unreliable" is about data being too spotty for a good baseline --and that those stations won't go level 5.

Craig

Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:59 am

Well, since I am new to this and the group, I do my thing and read as many past post as possible to get most of my answers and this one was one. So now I realize that I won't pop a level 5 for months because of how long a site has been online? This is post is not too old but discouraging a bit since I sit 200 yards from a rail line that hauls hazardous waste and would want to be alerted in a major accident, there's even been articles because of the tank cars sitting in heavily populated areas "God forbid". Thats a awful long time until one gets in a reliable state. I can see a week, but 30 days? ouch. :shock:

Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:32 pm

skybug wrote:
Well, since I am new to this and the group, I do my thing and read as many past post as possible to get most of my answers and this one was one. So now I realize that I won't pop a level 5 for months because of how long a site has been online? This is post is not too old but discouraging a bit since I sit 200 yards from a rail line that hauls hazardous waste and would want to be alerted in a major accident, there's even been articles because of the tank cars sitting in heavily populated areas "God forbid". Thats a awful long time until one gets in a reliable state. I can see a week, but 30 days? ouch. :shock:

Both NETC's PC software and Raspberry Pi software allow you the user/operator to set your local alarm level at anything you want and it alarms immediately. It is a local alarm for you only. The 30-day unreliable is system wide and has to be in place for new stations in order to collect enough data first so the system can make a reasonable decision if the rise in radiation is a concern or normal for that location.

As an example, looking at someones credit card or checkbook entries for a week does not give as clear of a picture of their spending as a review of their 30-day spending would. Neither are 100% in terms of the clearest picture but surely 30-days is better than a week.

Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:35 pm

Ok, that does make sense and understand the reasoning. Looking forward to having it run all the time and provide data for all. I notice that when I unchecked everything except for the NETC network, there aren't many of us out here, is there. We need more thru-out the USA, but I see, including myself that we have almost all 4 corners covered and some in the mid section, so its a start. Glad I got one going and now showing and providing data for the Northeast. Looking forward to getting a unit outside on the tower with the rest of the sensors to get better outdoor results. This 30 day period, is that straight, uninterrupted data flow? or if there is a PC reboot due to an update or a power failure, we are knocked out of the 30 day window and have to restart again? Thank you for the info and advice... Frank

Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:23 pm
Site Admin

Reliability of each station is very important to the public that watches for radiation. Standards are set and every station must meet them to become a reliable radiation station. I do not think any of the stations could make 100% data collection, so when I design the standard, I used an average of the good stations and set that as the standard. Bottom line, you site could miss a few days in the month, but the last week of the month, your station must be good but not perfect. Remember the only different between unreliable and reliable is that the RAM alert message will not be sent out on unreliable stations.

I am not trying to set absolute number of days that tells netc.com when to make a station reliable. The software evolves with the data collection from all the stations and new standards will be set to stop false alert messages.

If you have any more question, please post them.
Harlan

Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:32 pm

Thanks Harlan, that make absolute sense and agree ! I'm hoping that within about 2 weeks, I will have a permanent one in place, outdoors and will be happy to provide 24/7 data for there on out for everyone. The help, info and ideas I have been getting have been great and appreciated! Thank you :)

Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:08 pm
Site Admin

And thank you for your station too.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:03 am

hey everyone
nice post and discussion i really like it thanks for sharing your views :)

Our excellent online C2040-406 dumps - pass4sure training programs will lead you to success in the wikipedia We also offer latest Harvard University and examsheets.com with 100% success guarantee. Our CISCO is rare in IT ISEB

Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]