View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 RAM Alert Locations - Q/A 

Thank you for providing the RAM alerts. I wanted to ask you to consider making two changes to this system.

First, I really wish you would consider enabling us to list more than one city for the RAM alerts. I regularly have to travel between two cities that are approximately 675 miles apart, so it would be very helpful if I could list both of them (thus covering the whole route in between). (I think there were some high readings the other day along my route as I was driving home; I wish I could have known that at the time.)

Also, please consider adding text message alerts, in addition to the email alerts. There are still a few of us who don't have smart phones that can alert us when an email has been sent to us. But my simple litte flip phone makes a noise when a new text message is received. I get text-message based extreme weather alerts on my phone. It would be great if I could get a similar alert for high rad readings.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:59 pm
Site Admin

Second question first: Text messages works fine, just put in your text message phone number email address in the "RAM Email Address" field in the profile of your forum account . We also recommend turning off the Show Disclaimer flag if you are using text messaging alerts. See wikipedia: List of SMS Gateways if you need help figuring out your cell phone's email address.

The alert message only covers 500 miles, to cover two cities, pick a city in between and that way you will have both cities covered. I could increase the range to 1000 miles, if enough people request it.

harlan

Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:48 pm

Thank you for the instructions about how to get text messages sent to my phone.

I had considered picking a city in between for the 500-mile radius. However, I decided against this because this would leave out of the 500-mile radius anything that might occur in neighboring Illinois, which has more nuke plants than any other state in the country. There have been several unplanned releases from illinois plants in the last couple of years, and we never hear about them until a couple of days after the fact.

Thanks for the quick response.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:10 pm

lam335 wrote:
...neighboring Illinois, which has more nuke plants than any other state in the country. There have been several unplanned releases from illinois plants in the last couple of years, and we never hear about them until a couple of days after the fact.

Living in Illinois, I know what you are talking about. Looking at history, all past nuclear accidents around the world & releases have been kept from the public until well after. This is the main reason why everyone should own a geiger counter and have it hooked to NETC. I remember hearing someone joke how crazy it is that people wouldn't be without a smoke detector in their home when everyone can see and smell the smoke, but radiation you can't see or smell and few have geiger counters.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:34 pm

Hello, I am new to this and trying to understand how this alerting works. I went into my account settings and it states I have it set, but I have no idea what its set for, who or what location. How does this work? is it 500 miles from my location as set by my location of where I am? Does it allow us to pick a station to be alerted too? I haven't the faintest idea? Or have I missed something somewhere. How do I start uploading data to the system is another question? thank you in advance.. Frank USA Massachusetts.
Added: Ok, so I think I understand this a little just from the postings above, so do we just pick a city to center the 500 mile area, is it that easy or is there a certain way to pick a place? is there a way to input more than one address to send alerts too? in other words, having it go to our main email address and also have it sent to a cell as well, in case we missed one? I live in between 4 Nuke plants and have a RR line that runs right in front of my house hauling freight as well as hazardous stuff as well.. wish there was a map to see our location and the 500 mile radius from it... thank you Frank

Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:18 pm
Site Admin

The 500 miles radius is to stop sending alert messages to you when the alert is over 500 miles away. You can always check the alerts on the webpage under Alerts or go to the forum and check it under Ram alerts threads. It list all activation and when the alert was cancelled.

Go to "User Control Panel" then Profile - this is where you can change your location and set the email or text address for your alerts.

Harlan

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:15 pm

Hi Harlan, well that makes sense and I didn't think it was going to alert outside the 500 mile radius from my location. Re-questioned: is that from where I am located or do we just picked a city, state, etc to center it? I am now uploading data to the netc site, but noticed that it doesn't show my town, but the next town over, not a big deal, but would be nice when showing others that its me that's showing up and not someone else in the next town over. Is there a way to change that? 2nd, can we enter more than one email address to have alerts sent too? Thank you :)

Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:19 pm
Site Admin

No, only one email or text location. Sorry but that is the way we pay for our expenses.
Put the address in the location and it will move to that location.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:45 pm

Ok, understood, thought I would ask. I know some programs allow more than one and just adding a , between them allows more than one address to be entered, but figured I'd ask. Was playing around with the locations last night, every time I put my address in, it showed so many miles from the next town over (south), so I put in a address further up the street and now it was the next town to the north, couldn't win and have it show my town. Thanks for the info.. Frank Oh, got my first RAM Alert, pretty cool !! :)

Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]