View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Site Info - Range 600-800keV - Q/A 

Hello, when I clicked on a site sensor, it brings up the site ID, counts, etc but it also shows something about whether it was beta, gamma in brackets. Where is or does this info come from? when I click on my own sensor, it doesn't show this at all. All the sensor sites I clicked on say at the bottom (CPM of Gamma in energy range 600-800keV) or something along them lines, like beta. How or where is this info coming from for these sites or are they real Rad sites and not private ones... thank you, just trying to understand this system better.. Frank

Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:53 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Members can go to the "Chart Members Rad Map" link from NETC main page or click here:

http://www.netc.com/map5.php

Then down the right side you can select to add or remove sites. The sites you speak of are clearly labeled EPA sites. There are two types of EPA sites available through NETC, beta and gamma. The EPA gamma charts currently available through NETC are only the energy range noted. This energy range is known as channel 5 off the official EPA RADNET site and is best known for aiding in detection of Cs137. This is why this energy range was selected.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:57 pm

Oh ok, thank you for that info, I saw that along the right side. I figured it might be real sites and what they were monitoring and showing, but didn't put them together. That explains it :) Geez, if I unchecked both of them and only leave the netc one on, there sure aren't many of us private ones out here in the USA is there? So glad the other sites and info are choices or it would be boring out here with only a handful or so of us private ones. Hoping to get another unit and mount it outside for better detection. Just need to find out about length of cables and how to go about running it outside... Thanks again for the info, just love this site and chance to add to the network. :) Frank USA Massachusetts

Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:38 pm

Your welcome.

I will be glad to help you as best I can with any information needed to setup an outside unit. Have you considered using an air purifier like I have for better geiger counter readings?

Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:52 pm

Thank you for the welcoming and info. From the postings I have read, there are alot of nice people and info on here. I have a GMC-200 unit now running in the basement in the shack to get started. Will be getting a few more, some built, some in kit form. I want to mount one of them outside and some sort of enclosure that will have plenty of airflow but yet, protest it from the elements, moisture, etc. I have see that with the air purifier, does it really help and worth it to go that route or ok for what I have to be good enough? Oh, just noticed, how come the sensors don't show sometime on the map? just noticed mine is not showing up? Thank you !! Frank :)

Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:10 pm

Recently, I think there is some network maintenance in progress, I have notified Harlan just in case. I have two units myself that are not showing up either. Do you have the network setup to send your phone a regular text each time your unit goes down for 10 minutes or more? I find that feature very useful in detecting a problem & getting the unit back up again ASAP.

Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:22 pm

Yes, the GMC-200 on the face of an air purifier and outside does make a big difference! Since you already have your unit in the basement, get an air purifier and test it. I also have a unit in the basement on an air purifier to monitor my radon/radiation levels.

Here is the air purifier I use, you can cutout the grill for the geiger to fit:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Holmes-AER1-D ... r/22176444

Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:25 pm

Ok, thanks, I just set that feature and just came back down to check on the forum for anything new and noticed we were all back online. Read a posting about sites being "unreliable", wondered why and found answer in a July posting, a bit discouraging having to wait so long. I can see a week, but a month? One purpose for this was the Rail Line that runs by my house, freight and some of it hazardous, then of course air quality in general.. lots of past postings to read thru to learn more about this fine system. Thanks again for the info and I will look into the air purifier a bit too..

Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]