View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Higher levels? 

Living on an island is testing enough, but one that is directly across from Japan, is a true lab rat in waiting. I noticed that the rad is going up, and wonder what type of equipment would I need to buy to test the beach near my home when I am concern ( Daily ofcoarse!) and if there any water testing methods, as I have a water catch system for back up water. Rain forest life use to be wonderful, now it has my nerves shattered! I live below Juneau on Prince of Wales Island in Craig Alaska, and worked with haz mat most of my life. Thought that retiring here would be safe, now I am waiting for insight and thinking about moving back to the lower 48 to the east coast. I don't scare easily, but really would like to know the actual readings here. If anyone can help direct me to the right equipment and info, I would truly appreciate the insight.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:59 pm

I live in Hawaii and use this one, (picture below)
The readings are pretty accurate EPA Alert level is anything over 100 CPM (counts per minute)
I have tested it with other sites and our CPM readings have been similar
3 weeks ago I took it to the beach, it was quite breezy that day, and our readings were 548 CPM, needless to say we went home and took our potassium iodide.
This week the readings are lower, around 90, you will find as we have it depends a lot on the wind and ocean currents and whatever the idiots might be doing with the reactor in Japan !

Attachments:
Digital Geiger Counter.jpg
Digital Geiger Counter.jpg [ 5.58 KiB | Viewed 38194 times ]

Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:33 pm
Site Admin

Quote:
The readings are pretty accurate EPA Alert level is anything over 100 CPM (counts per minute)

Please state your source where the EPA said "100 CPM is ALERT" The EPA quotes in REMs of 100 and you are misleading everybody when you say the EPA said "100 CPM is Alert"
Harlan, NETC.com

Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:43 pm

Did you also get high read in your house and nearby when you got 548 CPM read on the beach? If you also get high read in house, could I say there is high radioactive materials in the air?

Lightstorm wrote:
I live in Hawaii and use this one, (picture below)
I have tested it with other sites and our CPM readings have been similar
3 weeks ago I took it to the beach, it was quite breezy that day, and our readings were 548 CPM, needless to say we went home and took our potassium iodide.
This week the readings are lower, around 90, you will find as we have it depends a lot on the wind and ocean currents and whatever the idiots might be doing with the reactor in Japan !

Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:13 am

Readings are much lower in our home compared to the beach, at least it has been this way for awhile. Things can change at any time depending on weather, tides, and wind currents .
I wonder sometimes where the stations place the Geiger Counters , in there homes (windows closed), or outside.
I know for a fact (personal experience) that it does make a difference in the readings.
Aloha

Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:47 pm
Site Admin

I have mine outside in a bird feeder and another one outside on an air filter.
harlan

Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:52 pm

I have a pancake geiger counter inside the house and a GMC-200 on a purifier outside, both running 24/7.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:14 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I understand it makes a lot difference between inside and outside of houses but I just wonder what is the difference between the data gathered nearby your house and on the beach in that day (unusual high reading). If the readings nearby you house was much lower than on the beach, could we say most of the radioactive pollutants were come from ocean but not air?

Lightstorm wrote:
Readings are much lower in our home compared to the beach, at least it has been this way for awhile. Things can change at any time depending on weather, tides, and wind currents .
I wonder sometimes where the stations place the Geiger Counters , in there homes (windows closed), or outside.
I know for a fact (personal experience) that it does make a difference in the readings.
Aloha

Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:48 pm

How do you prevent contaminants from air? Do you place it in a plastic bag?

hey wrote:
I have mine outside in a bird feeder and another one outside on an air filter.
harlan

Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:49 pm
Site Admin

The radiation in the air is what you want to read. CPM is the total radioactive material the the Geiger counter is pick up. A plastic bag only blocks Alpha radiation.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]