View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Why do the RADCON map symbols not match the CPM? 

I live in Austin,Texas. I clicked on the radiation symbols on the home page for this site. I can see the CPM counts for each geiger device but now I am more confused than ever. It would appear that the green and yellow radiation symbol (RADCON 1 NORM) should represent a location with readings with a 'normal' range which should be well below 100CPM. After clicking on many of these yellow-green symbols I can seet that many if not most are showing counts above 100CMP which should be reserved for one of the next two symbols, RADCON 2 or RADCON 3, should it not? Austin is showing a (red yellow RADCON 3) count that is unusually high, but when I click on Ft. Worth, Houston and San Angelo, all of which have green-yellow symbols, these are all showing counts above 100CPM! these symbols should be yellow-black and not green!. They appear to be labeled incorrectly. Backgroung in these areas cannot be that high.

In comparison I see a yellow-black symbol on Denver, CO. with a reading higher than Austin, Texas at 351CPM. So why does Denver have a RADCON 2 symbol when the reading is higher than Austin Texas which has a RADCON 3 symbol? It appears to me that your map figures are all screwed up if the data's are accurate at all. Is this some kind of sick joke? At the least it's deceptive and at the most it's grossly negligent. This represents a severe lack of credibility to this website. I already DO NOT TRUST THE INFORMATION BEING PRESENTED HERE. I realize that the only way I can have accurate information, it would appear, is that I will have to purchase my own geiger device and record the live readings for myself. That is, instead of trusting in a faulty reporting site such as this. The EPA has better and more relliable data than what I have seen here. It is a supreme disservice to Americans to present possibly inaccurate or unreliable information such as this. How can anyone trust it when it is being grossly misrepresented by incorrect map symbols which do not accurately reflect the live geiger CPM data???!!!!

You can't have a green-yellow RADCON 1 symbol over San Diego when the CPM count there is at 358CPM and Austin shown at RADCON 3 / 227CPM when it's over 100CPM less! That's not ACCURATE!!!!!!

Your RADCON symbols need to be matched to a map key with a clear description for each. I'm guessing RADCON 1 should be reserved for a CPM that is no more than 50. RADCON 2 should be designated for a count that is up to perhaps 100CPM. RADCON 3 should be for counts above 100 up to perhaps 250CPM. RADCON 4 should be for counts above 250 up to 500CPM. RADCON 5 should for 500CPM up to 1000CPM. RADCON 6 should be for 1000 to 1500CPM or higher.

YOUR MAP IS FAULTY. YOU NEED TO FIX IT!!!

Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:10 am

Welcome to NETC. You need to go read "What is Netc all about?" to find out how much you do not know before posting an item such as you just have. Then you need to go read "Nuclear 101" for newbies. It was put there very kindly by one of the mods for folks who need it - as most of us did (myself included) , and you obviously do. You might want to lose the all caps while you are at it, because it is considered shouting, and quite rude. Thank you, and glad you are here, and consider the subject important, you are quite correct.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:41 am

I do not wish to be rude - forgive please. The forum membership has expanded by about 45% in the last 3 weeks, from 588 to 850 and there is a bit of a scramble to get info out, I am trying to get info myself. Are you serious about getting your own geiger counter online? Because that would be the best thing you could do. I am about to order them myself and also have a large area to cover, just as you do. Two is better, "two is one, and one is none" so to speak. :-)

Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:54 am

NMichael79 wrote:
I already DO NOT TRUST THE INFORMATION BEING PRESENTED HERE. I realize that the only way I can have accurate information, it would appear, is that I will have to purchase my own geiger device The EPA has better and more relliable data than what I have seen here.

:D Most if not all of the stations you are talking about over 100 CPM are in fact EPA sites! I assume people are just so upset seeing so many lies out there about Fukushima that they believe anything they don't understand at first must than be a lie too.

Lack of understanding is not a good excuse to come on this forum and attempt to discredit the great work NETC's station operators have done by learning about radiation and buying a geiger counter to share their real-time readings for the world to see using NETC. It is so obvious when new users do not care enough to read any of the many educational threads/posts on this forum which explains radiation, geiger counters, the false understanding that 100 CPM is some EPA action level - which it is NOT and lastly how the RADCON levels work.

NETC was the first and currently the ONLY network that offers people free hosting of their radiation station data, no purchase necessary. This is because NETC cares!

Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:38 am

@norski - Thank you for being direct, I do not consider what you said to be rude... it was truth. As NETC continues to grow with private stations, the EPA will be unable ignore our data. We can not rule out that some users might be here to simply discredit NETC in an attempt to confuse the public more. NETC will continue to be able to track nuclear power plant accidents and shutdowns even better with more private stations and doing so need the EPA sites less. The EPA is well aware of NETC.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:26 am

@NMichael79 - as previously suggested by others, read the 101 tutorial so you don't sound like such a dolt. Like the rest of us, read all of the materials that will educate you on this site's purpose, its standard of measure, and do your best to comprehend what has been presented rather than vent over something which you clearly do not and have not comprehended correctly at this juncture. After you and read the materials, and if you still have questions and need clarifications, politely ask the group. These guys are here to help and throughout this site they have consistently demonstrated their willingness to help clarify when needed. Nobody here deserves such ignorant and unwarranted attacks.

Supere Aude.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:31 pm

M79, that was a middle of the night reply. I clean forgot, the information you are looking for and in the format you want IS THERE!!! Turn on the map for members, it is in the left hand side black column as you turn on the map. It's the member - only half way down. Now you will see a different set of items on the right side. Half - way down on the right are the choices : Relative and Absolute. CLICK ON ABSOLUTE. This is the data format for which you are looking! Green and Yellow are below 150CPM. Black and Yellow are 150-400, Red and Yellow are 4-600, Black and Red 600-1000, etc. :-)

Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]