View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 software 

I was just wondering if we can hope for an update to the software ; in particular I would like to see a complete total of the usv or nsv or whatever everyone pc reads? like a daily count / monthly to figure out if we have come to allowable
or recomended dose. gmc-300 here. cpm are fine to see up or down at the moment or is this an ongoing do your own math? :(

Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:39 am

mtlmrgn1 wrote:
I was just wondering if we can hope for an update to the software ; in particular I would like to see a complete total of the usv or nsv or whatever everyone pc reads? like a daily count / monthly to figure out if we have come to allowable
or recomended dose. gmc-300 here. cpm are fine to see up or down at the moment or is this an ongoing do your own math? :(

CPM is the only thing that each of us can use to compare readings from one geiger counter model to another.

Two different model geiger counters (different GM tubes) will read different dose levels from the same source of radiation, just as they do with CPM. Most importantly, with a geiger counter the dose rate is only accurate for one isotope at a time which is the one the unit was calibrated to. The dose rate feature is almost worthless when used for background readings because background readings always include more than one isotope.

Experts can not agree on what a safe level is, NETC does not join in the safe level debate. People will need to decide on their own what a "safe" or as you called it, "allowable or recommended dose" level is.

Using the 24/7 data collected in CPM from your station (outside on an air purifier is best) you can see what your areas lowest levels tend to be. Once you get that baseline data, you can decide what to expect to see and then decide what is your "safe" level. I do this for my family/kids using a GMC-200 on the intake side of an air purifier (for better radiation readings) while connected to the Raspberry Pi mini-computer running the custom software from NETC.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:33 am

Thanks!

Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]