View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Fresno EPA Rad Readings 

Perspective, pls. from NETC chart members. Hi folks, I don't often post here, but have had my Turlock, CA GMC-300E rad monitor posting to NETC for about 6 mos. now. One motivator for me to get my own rad monitor was the consistently high rad readings from the nearby Fresno, CA EPA RadNet site, which also appears to go off-line when the readings get really high (even for Fresno).

So I'm requesting some additional perspective from NETC users/members on a pattern that emerges from the two-month and one-month graphical summary for Fresno's EPA monitor. Specifically, I've noticed that the readings seem to peak with uncanny regularity between the hours of roughly 7 a.m. - 9:30 a.m. (+/- 30 min. or so). This may suggest regular "pulses" of [Gamma 5] radiation--perhaps from a medical or industrial facility? There are no NPPs in the immediate area, but there well may be rads from LLNL, Diablo NPP or other radiation sites carried on the Jet Stream. However, IMO the pattern suggests a more local source.

Unfortunately, NETC appears to smooth-out this time-specific level of detail when averaging beyond the 2-month/1 hr. time increments.

There are many more knowledgeable and experienced folks here on NETC that I am hoping can weigh-in on the Fresno anomaly. Thanks!!

Sat May 03, 2014 9:40 am

Going thru posts to see if anyone else has had regular pulses of radiation as seen around WIPP monitoring stations. And yes, is timed at start of work day (300 cpm+) then drops a hundred or more, until vented again around noon. GADS. The actual freqency has to be man made..and I think it is venting from WIPP as they work. Sparky, was glad to see you posting here. Now will watch you on Fresno! ;)

Mon May 12, 2014 8:10 am

Hi jec! I'm planning a road trip to Fresno this summer, staying just a few hours to meet with a few people there w/good perspecitve/expertise, as well as measure rad readings at various locations. In the meantime, I've got to figure out why my Internet is down at home. Hope to get back to posting soon. My guess it is (another!) problem with AT&T. I ditched their phone service and now my Internet is messed-up. :(

Thu May 15, 2014 4:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]