View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Difference from EPA Radiation Stations (Gamma) and Netc 

Just testing my GMC-300E in Denver, Co (Parker CO to be exact). EPA sites show in the 300 and higher CPM (401 CPM) today, my GMC-300E shows 24 -35 CPM. The 24-35 seems steady, which is good because what we look for is the change in background. I am just curious why the GMC-300E is showing so much lower data recordings than the EPA monitor. While inside, even going unshielded outside does not make much of a difference. Are we measuring different radiation types? Is my device needing calibration? Will be back in Virginia next Thursday, have the same difference with EPA and my private data there as well..with EPA showing much higher readings. Background there averages 15 or 16, here in Colorado, its double that. Interesting and reasuring to have at least closer readings to compare with from VA and CO. Comment and suggestions welcome.

Sun May 18, 2014 4:44 pm

I am unsure of the difference, however, the Denver EPA monitor is much closer to the Rocky Mountain Flats then you are. I would love to think that their monitor was just off. While another monitor on another site was continuously spiking, I asked them if it was an issue with the monitor. They took it offline, and checked for radon, and it went back online, but still with high readings. Also, for a while, there were spikes in Cheyenne at the same time as Denver. Just my guess that the stream from Fukushima followed a path between the two. There were particles found in high amounts in Boulder that were from Fukushima.

Sun May 18, 2014 5:38 pm

It many be I need to calibrate my GMC-300E, but really do not have any sources. At least the radiation show is relative..so I know if its spiking. Suggestions? Should I calibate to a nearby EPA GAMMA station? Those can be very high....

Mon May 19, 2014 11:14 am

JEC wrote:
It many be I need to calibrate my GMC-300E, but really do not have any sources. At least the radiation show is relative..so I know if its spiking. Suggestions? Should I calibate to a nearby EPA GAMMA station? Those can be very high....

The EPA does not use the same equipment as us. You can compare patterns but not CPM. For the mostly, I am looking for patterns myself.

Tue May 20, 2014 6:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]