View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Raspberry Pi app. 

Hi, i already have a GC. an a Raspberry Pi.
Do you sell just the app/software for the Pi, so i can get
on the map without having to use my P.C.?
Thanks... ;) :?: :?:

Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:35 am

It has been my understanding that every copy of the NETC Raspberry Pi software is custom licensed to the Raspberry Pi unit and its owner so I believe the answer to your question is no.

While the free PC software works great (I currently use both) I prefer using the Raspberry Pi. Please be aware that there has been talk of eliminating the Windows PC version and only offering the Raspberry Pi systems. The reason for this is that we find most people that use the Windows PC version do not leave their units run 24/7 and therefore their data is not complete/reliable. Plus, outside units are what we encourage (on air purifier) due to better early warning detection of radiation and it is unlikely a Windows PC unit will be setup with the geiger counter outside.

All currently existing Windows PC radiation stations with complete and reliable data would be grandfathered so if your interested, set one up ASAP.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:45 am
Site Admin

What KingCobra said it correct.

If you mail your Pi to me and I will add the license. But the PI must have a case, wifi adapter (Edimax), usb power supply and an 8gbyte SD card to write the software. Cost $50. This requirements will make the unit reliable for average use.

Harlan

Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:26 am

Wow, i'm sorry to hear this. how long before our stations will go off line?

Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:05 pm
Site Admin

We will not stop any PC that is running wapp4netc and is providing reliable data. Netc.com goal is to emulate the EPAs Units that are outside and on an air filter. Some ask why are so many private/home/inside radiation station readings so low.

First, paper or plastic blocks Alpha radiation.

Second, 4 inch wall blocks beta radiation.

Third, if the geiger counter is tied to a home computer, the metal case will block some gamma radiation. A lot of radiation picked up in the house is likely mostly RADON.

So we at Netc.com want to get the geiger counters outside, on an air filter and protected from the rain. Do not put the units in sealed zip lock baggie, the condensation will kill the unit with the water. Air Flow is a must!

Attachments:
WP_20131215_003.jpg
WP_20131215_003.jpg [ 308.37 KiB | Viewed 146147 times ]
WP_20130628_005.jpg
WP_20130628_005.jpg [ 601.27 KiB | Viewed 146147 times ]
Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:53 pm

Okay mine is right outside my house, with a 10ft usb cable, on a table inside the center of a 5x3x4ft dog kennel covered half way down with a tarp, on the intake of that exact air purifier in your pic. pc has been on 24/7. an i will be building a cheap pc for its own use soon. so i should be good to go then i guess?

Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:58 pm

While "hey"/Harlan says not to put your geiger counter in a ziplock sandwich bag due to condensation. I have had my GMC-200 in a ziplock sandwich bag 24/7 almost a year now (since April 2013) without any problems. In fact, my unit gets rained on so for me the risk of condensation vs. the guarantee of getting wet from rain makes my choice of using a ziplock bag a no-brainer.

Whichever way you decide, please understand that these are just suggestions and by putting your unit outside you are assuming the risk of damage to your unit. Damage by weather is not covered under the manufactures warranty or NETC.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:09 pm

Is anyone with a geiger counter unit in a plastic baggie putting in a dessicant? And has anyone currently a unit outside in -40 temps? I am looking for this data, it is relevant to my situation. Thank you.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:16 pm

norski wrote:
Is anyone with a geiger counter unit in a plastic baggie putting in a dessicant? And has anyone currently a unit outside in -40 temps? I am looking for this data, it is relevant to my situation. Thank you.

I have not used a dessicant in my ziplock bag, but that would be a good idea.

As for temps, recently the lowest my unit has reached outside was on Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:34 seen below:

Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:52 pm

@ KingCobra, is there a link, where you are getting your weather?
Thanks, Phil.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next