View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 radiation level in Tuscon Area 

Here's a comparison between the Drexel Heights station (top) and my own measurement with an LND7317 based geiger counter from Atomic Dave. Measurements were taken about 60 miles southeast of Tuscon in the Sonoita/Patagonia area. Currently the GC is sitting on a chair in the house, though the readings seem pretty close to what I get outside. I will get an air filter at some point.

I'm not a expert on statistics, but would say there's a noticable if not good correlation between the two graphs. I think its easier to see the correlation with the high and low graphs since the average graphs may have the average periods out of sync, though even there a correlation can be seen.

Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:39 pm

jbird, are you setting up a raspberry monitoring station on NETC?

Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:48 pm

Not at this time. My GC is a pancake tube unit and not suitable for continual use in an outdoor environment. Also, I don't stay here on a continual basis. Are you in the Tuscon area?

I don't believe netc supports the DIY based geiger counters (though they are open source and could probably be modified to work with netc.

Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:45 pm

jbird wrote:
I don't believe netc supports the DIY based geiger counters (though they are open source and could probably be modified to work with netc.

I have not heard of anyone that has found a DIY geiger counter that worked with the NETC software, but there might be one out there. I have heard others talk about the DIY geiger counters and the total cost seems to be close to $80. Why not just buy a GMC-200 unit for $85 because it does work with NETC.

http://www.gqelectronicsllc.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4527

Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]