View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Would like to report Inspector Alert data from CA 

Hey guys, it's been a while. I've been looking into liquid scintillation and gamma spectroscopy for a while now, but unfortunately the equipment remains just outside the budget for the moment. I have however, had my Inspector Alert on an air filter continuously for months and would like to collect the data from it.

Anyone that is familiar with the Inspector Alert knows that it only has a 1/8" audio style jack to report data, and that the software/dongle solution sold by the makers of the device is expensive, has a terrible licensing scheme (can't transfer the software between computers), and supports only XP. The most important part from an engineering perspective is that when the device detects, it throws a 5v pulse over the tip of the 3.5mm cable connected to it.

I'd like to just find a way to report the data I'm gathering and can write the software part, but gathering the 5v pulses has been the difficult bit. I have a PC I can dedicate to this, so it has the standard array of modern I/O - USB, audio, PCIe, SATA, eSATA. I'm guessing some sort of USB adapter would be most likely available, but has anyone come across a solution for this yet?

Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:34 pm

GMC has a free PC software package you may be able to use and integrate: http://gq-gmc-data-viewer.software.informer.com/

Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:05 am

Update on this, found this thing! Looks like it could work. :)

http://www.dataq.com/products/di-149/

Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:40 pm

I use a Belkin Wireless USB Adapter...with Windows XP. Works great. Only make sure you are connnected through the Belkin only. I don't know if I helped here or not...but that's what I use.

Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:38 am

ramblinrose wrote:
I use a Belkin Wireless USB Adapter...with Windows XP. Works great. Only make sure you are connnected through the Belkin only. I don't know if I helped here or not...but that's what I use.

Thanks Ramblinrose, but the Inspector Alert only supports an audio jack connector. It's pretty old, but the pancake detector has a lot of surface area and is nice. When it detects a hit, it sends a 5v pulse across the tip of the audio jack. To interpret it, I actually wrote some C++ code for an Arduino (stripped an audio cable and plugged it in to the Arduino) and it works! Now to try and find a way to send the data to netc. :)

Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:07 pm

I own an InspectorEXP and the free NETC Windows software was written to work with it. In fact it was written to work with all the geiger counters I own.

Mazur 9000
InspectorEXP
GMC-200
GMC-300

Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:11 pm

KingCobra wrote:
I own an InspectorEXP and the free NETC Windows software was written to work with it. In fact it was written to work with all the geiger counters I own.

Mazur 9000
InspectorEXP
GMC-200
GMC-300

Thanks KC, so I have a realtime count on my Arduino and thus my computer of detections. How can I feed that to netc? It would be nice to see what is going on while I am at work.

Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:48 pm

Sorry but I do not believe that is supported.

Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]