View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 GMC-300 CPM Changes With Speaker On/Off 

I've noticed on my New model GMC-300 the CPM Changes With Speaker On/Off Setting. I'm not moving the unit from the source, and I can repeat this constantly.
The CPM reads Higher with the speaker on, which is confusing because if the speaker drained a lot of power it would the CPM would be lower right?
The backlight has no effect on this, neither does running it off of ac power, it still reads higher with the speaker on.
For instance:
3000 CPM Speaker Off
4500 CPM Speaker On
I made a video of it doing this.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM99j8YBOho

Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:21 am

Hi DAN!!! Still no luck with the readings on your geiger? Did you ask ZLM about sending it in for repair or exchange?

Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:18 am

Dan30Cal wrote:
I've noticed on my New model GMC-300 the CPM Changes With Speaker On/Off Setting. I'm not moving the unit from the source, and I can repeat this constantly.
The CPM reads Higher with the speaker on, which is confusing because if the speaker drained a lot of power it would the CPM would be lower right?
The backlight has no effect on this, neither does running it off of ac power, it still reads higher with the speaker on.
For instance:
3000 CPM Speaker Off
4500 CPM Speaker On
I made a video of it doing this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM99j8YBOho

I watched the video, but the unit was still rising when you turned the speaker on. Any chance that you could make another video? I own a GMC-300 just like yours and I also own fiestaware like you. The sample I used to test and my GMC-300 would not act as you described. I tested it with the speaker on/off and also with the alarm on/off. Remember that the fiestaware will on it's own go up and down in CPM so you can't use an exact number but rather a range.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:38 am

I'm in the basement where my monitoring shack is for various sensors. The outside is about 6 feet from my PC's and trying to see how I can get one of my GMC-200 units out there instead of down here for better readings. Just didn't know the sensitivity of the data line going to the unit and if it was possible to either extend the audio cable part or the USB part with an extension. Longest it would be is ~10 feet. Then I could mount the unit to the side of the house and enclose it from the elements... hoping others over the next few days can chime in... thanks

Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:53 am
Site Admin

Use a usb cable for the gmc 200, it is good to put it outside, pUt it in a plastic bag.

Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:15 am

If Kathi is still out here and I know this post is old, but I too have 2 of these. Mine is mounted outside in one of them solar radiation shields they use for temp/hum sensors. Its 15 feet from my shack in the basement. What I did was purchase a 20 foot stereo M/M cable, and extended the power lead that much as well. I just cut the wire here in the shack area, and spliced in a 15 foot section. Been out there now for 2 winters and running great.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:48 pm

skybug wrote:
If Kathi is still out here and I know this post is old, but I too have 2 of these. Mine is mounted outside in one of them solar radiation shields they use for temp/hum sensors. Its 15 feet from my shack in the basement. What I did was purchase a 20 foot stereo M/M cable, and extended the power lead that much as well. I just cut the wire here in the shack area, and spliced in a 15 foot section. Been out there now for 2 winters and running great.

Thanks for the update.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]