View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 OPEN LETTER Governor Bruce Rauner - Nuclear is NOT Green 

Sadly today I find out that my governor passed the energy bill to keep the Illinois nuclear plants open. While I previous have already made my voice heard to Governor Bruce Rauner, today I submitted a letter to his office and I'm posting a copy of it here for public record.

Quote:
Nuclear power is not green or clean energy. Shame on you for passing the energy bill, your looking at short term job gains but with long-term losses. A Fukushima like meltdown CAN HAPPEN to any of these old nuke plants with Chicago residents as the down-winders. Illinois is already the largest nuclear waste dump in the U.S. according to Bloomberg, just Google it! Now thanks to your passing of the so called "Clean Energy Bill" the dump will only get LARGER! Do you know that when these nuclear plants shutdown, the nuclear waste will continue to sit onsite because the government still has no place for it? Do research on WIPP which still is closed due to a nuclear waste accident. Furthermore, if you did even a little independent research on nuclear plants and their real nuclear waste emissions, leaks & near misses you would have easily vetoed the "Clean Energy Bill" without a doubt! With these nuclear plants already working past their original engineered end of life (NO thanks to the NRC extending them) Illinois is like a crazy gambler who is wagering his house while being clueless of how the game is played.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:47 am

At this point, I would not be surprised if Illinois in the future if Illinois starts accepting nuclear waste from all of the other states for storage here. After all, Illinois is so cash strapped that it's like a crack addict willing to do anything and everything risky just to get a new fix (cash) to make it another day down the road.

Here is a link to the Bloomberg article talking about how Illinois is the largest nuclear waste dump in the United States.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-10-25/illinois-biggest-atomic-dump-as-u-s-fails-to-pick-site

Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]