View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Potasium Iodine for Children, bye bye pacific? 

Hi! I am so glad I found this site! I can't even tell you how stressed I have been over this Fukushima crisis! I found a study in Open Journal of Pediatrics that talks about radioactive plume from Japan coming after March 2011 and how babies in womb at time have 28% more chance of congenital thyroid issues. Well, my daughter was in the womb at the time and I am just in tears over the thought that I am on west coast now and we are getting radiated every day! I just happened to do some research a few days ago and found out about Fukushima! I am angry, sad, and frustrated! I grew up at the beach, surfed, lived for the ocean and now I think it may be time to leave.. I have noticed that my kids vitamins have potasium idodine in it... but wondering if I should be doing something else to protect and if so, where do you find info on it??? 77% of RDA for daughter and 33% for older brother... should we try niacin iodine? I know nothing about this!
Second, where is a safer place to live in US? It seems like everywhere is affected.. Is it crazy to be on west coast if have a well and land to grow own food in greenhouse or is it wise to get out now while can since ocean will soon be polluted and that pollution will spread by wind, people, etc? I am just trying to protect my family and trying to be ahead of it as much as possible! Any advice/websites, opinions of you folks would be great!
Thanks!

Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:16 am

I live in in Illinois near the Wisconsin stateline and while I enjoy living where I am at, I wish I could move to the Southern Hemisphere due to Fukushima. Having followed the Fukushima & radiation topic everyday for the past two years, I have come to the conclusion that there is no safe place in the U.S. away from nuclear.

This is a collection of information and links that are a great start for anyone new to the nuclear topic:
https://www.netc.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=7

Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:00 am
Site Admin

Hi, pismo1
this is a maze of problems that if I could tell the future I would. In everything I learned about radiation and this Japanese nuclear disaster, it is building my faith in a God that he will direct me to where he want me to go. I feel that I am standing on the walls of a fort and if the radiation is coming, my job is to warn the soldiers to get ready to fight. I felt all alone at the beginning standing on the wall, but now many people have joined the fight and are standing by me. The invisible enemy is coming called Radiation, The Destroyer of World. Will you stand up and help?

Harlan, Netc.com

Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:17 am

hey wrote:
Hi, pismo1
this is a maze of problems that if I could tell the future I would. In everything I learned about radiation and this Japanese nuclear disaster, it is building my faith in a God that he will direct me to where he want me to go. I feel that I am standing on the walls of a fort and if the radiation is coming, my job is to warn the soldiers to get ready to fight. I felt all alone at the beginning standing on the wall, but now many people have joined the fight and are standing by me. The invisible enemy is coming called Radiation, The Destroyer of World. Will you stand up and help?

Harlan, Netc.com

Your faith is serving us well. Thank you.
I am listening to God also and so, here I am.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:08 am

pismo1 wrote:
Hi! I am so glad I found this site! I can't even tell you how stressed I have been over this Fukushima crisis! I found a study in Open Journal of Pediatrics that talks about radioactive plume from Japan coming after March 2011 and how babies in womb at time have 28% more chance of congenital thyroid issues. Well, my daughter was in the womb at the time and I am just in tears over the thought that I am on west coast now and we are getting radiated every day! I just happened to do some research a few days ago and found out about Fukushima! I am angry, sad, and frustrated! I grew up at the beach, surfed, lived for the ocean and now I think it may be time to leave.. I have noticed that my kids vitamins have potasium idodine in it... but wondering if I should be doing something else to protect and if so, where do you find info on it??? 77% of RDA for daughter and 33% for older brother... should we try niacin iodine? I know nothing about this!
Second, where is a safer place to live in US? It seems like everywhere is affected.. Is it crazy to be on west coast if have a well and land to grow own food in greenhouse or is it wise to get out now while can since ocean will soon be polluted and that pollution will spread by wind, people, etc? I am just trying to protect my family and trying to be ahead of it as much as possible! Any advice/websites, opinions of you folks would be great!
Thanks!

pismo1, Hi.
There is some good info at ENENews.com - FORUM: Methods for combating radiation and its effects
At this stage it seems like the southern hemisphere is the safest, but it is uncertain how long it will remain this way. Ultimately, there is no way to escape the curse of the nucleaphiles on planet earth so what we must do is stand up against this beast in the way we are personally lead to, and love each other. Love each other big.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:31 am

first time on here, testing the cite out

Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:03 am

I am a mom, too. My daughter was born a couple of months after Fukushima. I did not know Fukushima was an ongoing event impacting my little slice of heaven here in the U. S. until last summer. I am wracked with guilt when I think about all the time I had my precious little girl outside with me as an infant -- in the stroller, on a blanket in the park, in the baby pool in the backyard. I let her play in the snow, eat icicles off the low-hanging branches of the cedar trees, splash in puddles and play in the rain. We would sit out on the deck at the house and watch the storms roll in over the mountains. If it was a pretty day, every window in the house was open -- including the nursery windows. We smelled a lot of flowers and played with the pollen. She and I would eat Rosemary out in the garden without washing it. Ignorance was bliss. I can only imagine how much radiation I exposed her to. (Oh, and I fed her lots of "good" organic veggies, fruits and milk.). I thought I was doing all the right things.... I just have to put my anguish over past exposure in God's hands and do my best going forward
Now, it is all about mitigation. Here is what I do, for what it is worth:
ENVIRONMENT:
1). I check the weather, wind patterns, and netc.com every morning before I decide to take her out. If it looks like the Jetstream is going to dip down and dump precipitation on us, we stay in.
2). I am sealing up the house as best I can. Weather-tight storm doors will be installed next week. Storm windows are next on my list. I have rolls of duct tape and plastic sheeting I can use if things get too bad. Our house is close to 100 yrs old and it seems every window leaks. We have replaced many windows and a few doors, but have more to go. Expensive endeavor.
3) i had the rugs sent out and cleaned. I vacuum with a hepa filter vacuum more frequently than I used to. We take our shoes off in the house. I "Swiffer" the hardwoods several times a day. (I sat next to a scary man on a plane years ago who was going to clean up a very scary powdered substance that was mailed to some important folks.... He said the electrostatic qualities of the "swiffer" cloths made them perfect for such a task, so i figure maybe i will get lucky and "Swiffer" up a few errant hot particles). I spend crazy sums of $ on air filters and change them often.
4). I installed a reverse osmosis water filter on the kitchen sink, but that doesn't take out Tritium, which is in our water now. Do the best I can.... Oh, I just got a water bottle that allegedly filters out radiation (but not Tritium) Haven' t used it yet. Found it on Amazon. I need to get a whole-house filter
FOOD
5) Less cheese, no yogurt or keifer, less milk. She likes an organic, vitamin-fortified (w/iodine), powdered milk product made for toddlers called "Pediasmart." The company that makes it goes to great pains to make certain the brown rice it uses does not contain arsenic (almost impossible), so I figure they are not using Cesium tainted milk, either. I might add a variety of things to my child's milkshakes depending upon how the spirit moves me: liquid vitamin drops, vitamin D drops, powdered dehydrated fruit/veggie powder ("Amazing Grass" makes choc and berry flavors), flax oil, a smidge of a powdered mineral product that has calcium, magnesium, and D in it, and powdered probiotics made for children by the same company that makes the formula/milk (NaturesOne I think is the name of the company). I give her Vitamin C every day. She loves the Hyland's Vitamin C for toddlers (I do, too)
6) My child has learned to love iodine-loaded dulse flakes. I buy the dulse at Whole Foods. The company that sells the flakes is on the east coast and says on its packaging it tests for heavy metals and radiation. I think it is called "Maine Vegetables" or something like that. Sorry for the uncertainty re the exact names, but I am not near the kitchen. I have bought loads of the stuff in anticipation of ocean conditions around the world deteriorating further. I have dulse flakes in the pantry, in the fridge, in the freezer and in vacuum -sealed mason jars (open the original packages, dump into sterilized mason jars and seal w/a Food Saver attachment). I have bought iostat pills, but not used them. Makes me feel better to have them on hand, along with N-100 filtered face masks and sporty Tyvek suits and booties for the family.
7) My child loves Rosemary. She will eat it raw or dried. I grow Rosemary indoors now. I have read this herb is helpful w/mitigation. Do your own research, though. I am not a doc!
8)Chia seeds from the Southern Hemisphere. Again, do your own research!
9). I buy fruit and veggies grown in the Southern Hemisphere or close when I can. (E.g., Organic frozen asparagus from Chili) i buy some greens from a local greenhouse. I dehydrate and vacuum seal produce in mason jars, although this is a pain and my husband is tired of seeing, hearing, smelling, the dehydrator on the kitchen table. I wish I had bought more Vermont apples when I saw them. I have purchased apple pectin, which I believe to be useful in flushing out radiation, but I have not used it. It is not organic and if the apples came from certain parts of the world, I might be defeating the purpose. Again, makes me feel better to have it on hand.
10). I am turning my south-facing dining room into a pseudo greenhouse. I have one dwarf lemon tree, one dwarf lime tree, a rosemary bush, some oyster mushrooms and some herbs at the moment. I need to get more going/growing. I abandoned my outdoor fall/winter garden after we got a big, "hot" rain right before Christmas. I could not bring myself to feed the produce to my family. I have since gotten some canopies for the raised beds, but I worry about what is glowing in the dirt. I have read about various ways to clean the dirt, but I need to do more research. Same with my compost pile.
Oh, I clean my produce in filtered water and baking soda. I understand baking soda may help remove radioactive particles.

Do the best we can, right? Hug the kiddos, enjoy the days we have. Try to prepare the little ones for a brave new world. Trust the Big Guy upstairs to lead us through the valley. The politicians are not going to help. I have talked to several in my home state. The newspapers are not going to help us, either. I have talked to friends who have the power to publish, but after showing initial interest they do nothing or reprint wire stories, which are useless at best. Don't count on friends or family to be too helpful or sympathetic, either. Normalcy bias is like a brick wall. Don't waste too much time banging your head against it!

Sincerely,
Another Mom

Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:56 am

@Johann - Thank you so much for that heartfelt & detailed post. While my knowledge on radiation (which is limited) and which foods are best to eat/avoid is important. I believe my outside air purifier radiation monitoring station is also very important. It uses the Raspberry Pi with NETC custom software. I have it setup to give voice alerts anytime the unit detects my preset CPM level. When the kids hear this message, they come inside.

Here is a link to my station history:

https://www.netc.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=203

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:51 pm

Thank you everyone for your posts and Johann for your (I second that) very heartfelt and detailed post!! It's hard to give up dairy so we do pectin in our milk and yogurt. A friend talked to her doctor and he said some will get cancers and some won't and the ones that have so much fear and anxiety are more likely to take in and attract and the ones that have positive energy around won't. I do agree with that and some have posted about having faith in higher power that they will be protected but at same time we do have to be proactive as many on this site. Not going out in the rain, watching the site to see where the hot spots are, changing food and of course having a support system as this,, etc.! It sounds like Johann, you have really given your all to helping your family!!! My worst fear is for my kids to say, "mom, why didn't you do anything to help us when you knew this would happen down the line!" It's nice to know another mom that is also concerned, so thanks so much again Johann and of course others for posting. Any other thoughts are welcome as any new info I will share.

I do wonder why the last few days east coast seems to have a few hot spots especially when those areas I didn't notice unusual wind patterns or rain/snow? Any thoughts on this? On west coast, we seem to be doing okay this week but we are also dry and no wind or rain in sight.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:33 am

There is so much confusion as to what we "really" can do to protect ourselves. All the great ideas for supplements and organic foods grown in the Southern hemisphere, no dairy, etc are all excellent. The only problem is the main thing is to not get any radiation in the first place. I am in Southern California 30 miles from the coast. It freaks me out being here. My son runs track and I can't stop him. I look on the US map and I see radiation everywhere - sometimes California is better than the east coast. One study predicts the following deaths for the US. 2012 - 65,592; 2016 - 327,960; 2021 - 655,920 and 2031 - 1,311,840. So to me it seems like luck of the draw if you are one of these that gets cancer (leukemia, lung, brain cancer, etc). I am taking Icelandic sea kelp pills, melatonin, selenium, NAC, Artic sea krill oil, organic foods, Argentina wine, filtered water, HEPA air filter, and staying out of the rain; but there are still no guarantees. Would it be better to leave California and go to Texas or no difference at all?

Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next